Menu
RichardWhite321
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

New customer broadband speed too slow in the evening - any ideas

Hi, does anyone else have extremely slow internet speeds in the evening?  

In the morning and afternoon we get about 50Mbs but from about 6pm until 10 or 11 it drops to between 3-5Mbps. Even causing Netflix and iplayer to stall.

I have just switched from talktalk and expected it to be an improvement. So far it has not been and am thinking of back-migrating.

Can something can be done about this?

0 Kudos
Raco
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: New customer broadband speed too slow in the evening - any ideas

I will give you some advice regarding your connection, The connection drop you are seeing in peak time is due to the product being oversold in your area ( high utilisation). Now you have a few options available to you.

1, cooling down period is 14 days so you can leave without penalty within this time period.

2,As you can see on this forum ( high utilisation) is a common thing and some people have been waiting years for them to fix this, They will keep telling you a fix date but in reality it wont get fixed anytime soon. They will offer you a reduced fee for your troubles but its not nearly enough and you will spend the next 12 months of your contract feeling ripped off and have a sub par standard internet connection during hours when u need it the most. ( do a search for your postcode top of the forums to see if anyone else is having this problem in your area).

Virgin media think its fine to sign new customers up to a contract while the area has ongoing high utilisation problems so my best advice I can give to you is phone them up and cancel and look elsewhere for a stable connection.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi RichardWhite321,

Welcome to the Community!

Really sorry to hear you're having speed issues.

I've located your account and I can see an issue with the network in your area affecting speeds at peak times - Ref.(F004057329). Our technicians are working to get this sorted and have set a review date of 8th February.

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
RichardWhite321
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Josh,

Many thanks for you email and the review.

Unfortunately I need this fixed before end of this week (Fri 20th) so I can still cancel and return to TalkTalk (ie within the 2 week cancellation window).

I'll review on Friday evening, if it is not better, I'll cancel.

Many thanks for all you can do before then.

Richard

0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

VM have knowingly sold you a connection in an over subscribed area. It won't be fixed by Friday. You'll be lucky if it gets fixed this year. Run for it while you're still in your 14 day cool off period.

F003443743. December '14 - May '17.
0 Kudos
RichardWhite321
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks  - good advice - I'll let it run to the end of the week, and if nothing changes (as you and I suspect), I'll cancel.

Cheers, 

Richard

marcp85
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Get rid of VM whilst you still can! Just do it. You've only got to look at all the issues on here regarding 'network utilisation' which have been going on for 12months plus now.

How can it possibly be so difficult for them to fix it and why do they continue to promise new customers this, that and the other if they know that they cannot deliver? 

I've had 9 months of issues which were supposedly going to be fixed in December. Now it's April. I just know that they'll fob me off again come April so I'm looking at Sky Fibre now. 

Virgin Media are con artists. 

0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you want a good laugh, phone up the offshore call centre. They will guarantee you that your line will be fixed yesterday, and if you ask them nicely they'll give you next weeks winning lottery numbers "Of course these will win sir. Now, would you like to upgrade your package with us.". Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
marcp85
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, they're clearly offshore call centre is a total waste of time, regardless of how good the individual's intentions are. 

Issues since December 2014 and a 3 month plus wait until the next 'review'?! Jesus, that would be funny if it wasn't so tragically pathetic! Smiley Sad

What do you think they'll say in April then? 

0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

"We're so very sorry for the delay in fixing your connection. We value your custom, as we do with all of our customers, but here's a new review date, when our highly trained engineers will discuss what was on telly last night over tea and bickies." Smiley Happy

0 Kudos