Menu
ohit1
Joining in
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

London, SE3: quality of broadband service

I've had many years of fantastic service with Virgin Media in Harrow (Greater London). This has been for decades since the original Videotron franchise to C&W to NTL and then VM.

We are soon moving to London, SE3 postcode area (Blackheath/Lee/Lewisham borders). What have others' experience been with Virgin Media broadband in that area?

I'm very happy to pay for top 200mbps package if it means it does actually work really well.

[The alternative I am exploring is the bottom 50mbps package with a second internet connection provided by BT Fibre (I've got the all the equipment to achieve load-balancing routing etc.), but my preference is just the one fast VM connection]

Any honest sharing of experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: London, SE3: quality of broadband service

Hi ohit1,

Welcome to our Forum Smiley Happy

I suspect your query is intended for the wider community (those who reside in the London SE3 area anyway). 

But I am able to check for any reported or known service-affecting issues and shall be happy to let you know in advance of your pending move. 

I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) requesting a couple more details, so please reply when you can and I'll look into this for you.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

HI ohit1,

Thanks for getting back to me with that information.

My tests show that peak time Internet usage is low in relation to available capacity, so definitely no congestion issues.

However, I still think it would be good for other VM customers in that area to provide you with their observations & experiences.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy​​​​​​​

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
ElviraKate
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Well, Jen, perhaps you'd like to look at this BQM graph of ours. We are also on the Blackheath/Lewisham border, actually just in SE13, but still area 21. We have had appalling service for about six months, and congestion is terrible. I have revived an old thread about this but no response from a current forum team member as yet. To add insult to injury we keep getting calls from the sales team touting the 'new faster speeds' - I would be happy if we were getting anything like the service we are actually paying - a lot! - for. Latency and packet loss are shocking, especially between 6 and 10pm. We have given up trying to stream content.

Please do something about this. The Catch 22 is that there is no comparable service in our area at all, as the BT fibre is all cabinet-based and I refuse to give Murdoch any money.

Here is the graph from Tuesday:

0044130746a902bebd2d6c788626eb84-20-06-2016.jpg

0 Kudos
ohit1
Joining in
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for your reply 'ElviraKate'.

The information you provide is really worrying. As it stands so far, I won't be ordering VM which is really disappointing (they are fantastic at previous place, where BT was really poor).

What is 'Area 21' exactly?

0 Kudos
ElviraKate
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I don't know exactly where the boundaries of area 21 are, but I'm pretty sure it covers Lewisham. Perhaps one of the elusive forum team might care to comment?

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

The 'Areas' aren't geographic as such but are based on the old cable franchises. Area 21 appears to cover parts of SE and W London and Southampton.

Congestion problems are very localised and not related to the areas numbers. It's possible for the service to be terrible in your location but fine half a mile down the road. 

0 Kudos
ElviraKate
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

OK - but it's quite likely the OP is near enough to me to be in Area 21. Whichever, I wish someone would take some notice of what's been happening - or rather not happening - in my bit of it!

0 Kudos
ohit1
Joining in
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Is there a grace period or similar for a new order/installation - i.e. if within 30 days (or whatever) I'm not satisfied with the service then I can just cancel everything and not bound to the minimum term contract?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi ElviraKate,

Really sorry about your connection issues, that graph hardly looks appealing.

I've checked and note fault ref: F003709159 is attributable. This is not congestion though in the normal sense, something else seems to be happening here.

I'll keep an eye on this and let you know as soon as we get any updates on this. 

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos