Menu
tezza192
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Internet unusable tonight Area 30

My internet at 2pm today just seemed to go on a complete go slow, tonight pages mostly refuse to load or take minutes to do so. I cant even run a speed test on Ookla as it refuses to start. 

I have  broadband ping monitor running and as you can see at 2pm something has happened, please can you help?

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet unusable tonight Area 30

Have you checked the service status page for an area fault?: https://my.virginmedia.com/faults/service-status

If there is not an area fault listed then some hub stats might help.  Go to http://192.168.0.1/ (or http://192.168.100.1/ if you are in modem mode) to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login (unless you have a Hub 3 and this is your first visit to the hub GUI, which does require you to login) but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screenshots if that is easier. Be careful to edit out or obscure any reference to your WAN IP or MAC address in the log to protect your privacy.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread (can take 7-10 days) and run checks on your line.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
neilorourke252
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hey Mate

like most areas area 30 has a High Utilization fault logged the next "Review" date is 8th march

I'm also in area 30 and already seen 3 "Review" dates pass mate sure to ring and ask about it as i get bits refunded to my account

the fault code i was given is F004702131
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@neilorourke252 Area codes are billing codes rather than geographic areas and not everybody in "area 30" is connected to the same network segment, so the OP might not be impacted by the same fault as you.  Especially as 2pm is not typically classed as peak time and that is when high utilisation faults tend to manifest themselves. Not ruling out a utilisation fault but the evidence so far suggests it might be something else.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi tezza192,

Welcome to the Community!

Really sorry to hear you're having trouble with your connection.

I've located your account and everything is looking great at the moment. All your levels are as they should be and there are no network issues in your area.

Are you still experiencing issues with this?

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
LEP
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Josh, check fault reference F004903477 affecting area 30, I think you'll find there is an existing fault and the fix date I was given by Ignatius on your tech support chat  is 31st May.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As Sca has said Area 30 is a billing area that covers the North Midlands and Teeside.

Fault F004903477 seems to be affecting part of Nottingham, so if the OP is in an unaffected part of Nottingham or in Middlesborough the fault will not be affecting the OP, and again as Sca says it does not look like an utilsation fault anyway from the TBB graph.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

LEP wrote:

Josh, check fault reference F004903477 affecting area 30, I think you'll find there is an existing fault and the fix date I was given by Ignatius on your tech support chat  is 31st May. 

@LEP  that reference will only cover one local network segment in "area 30" not all of the network segments in "area 30" so unless you live close to @tezza192 it is unlikely to be the same issue.  AFAIK "area 30" includes customers in the North Midlands & Teeside so potentially you could be nowhere near each other geographically and these sort of issues and the associated fault refs are very local.

Unfortunate to see support chat giving out a "fix" date that will almost certainly be a review date.

EDIT - Didn't see @griffin responding while I was composing my reply, so sorry for sounding like a parrot Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
LEP
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ahhh, right its just there are a lot of people complaining of same fault saying they are area 30 so I assumed that is where faulty server/switch/whatever is.

And saying this, a known fault, won't even be reviewed until 31st of May is a whole new level of bad service. Been with NTL/Virgin for 18 years without anything more major than a new modem needed but really is intolerable to expect customers to wait so long for a fix.

0 Kudos