Menu
DeeDay
Tuning in
Message 1 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Internet connection constantly timing out in L9

Only moved into my new house 10 days ago and already having trouble with my internet connection constantly dropping out and timing out. 

Tried running a trace root as advised on here and all of the requests in command prompt time out other than the first initial connection to the superhub.

Attempting to browse the Internet is a complete joke at the minute. 

Help!!

0 Kudos
sc00terx
Up to speed
Message 2 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet connection constantly timing out in L9

getting the same also m8 in the next road getting the same also in L9 been like this for a bout 3/7 days keeping my eyes on the problem to see what they do hmm
Sc00terx
0 Kudos
DeeDay
Tuning in
Message 3 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Spent 2 hours on the phone to Virgin and have been told that there's absolutely nothing wrong in the area. They believe that it is a problem with my Superhub and are sending a replacement.

Surely if its happening to more than one person in the area then its a network fault and not my equipment.

Can anyone from Virgin confirm this?!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Hi DeeDay,

Sorry to hear the connection is timing out.  

I've tested the hub and network segment.  The hub stats all look good, I can't see any problems with the power levels, or any timeouts.  There does appear to be a bit of a spike in usage on the network, mainly during peak times.  Do you notice the issues with the connection predominantly at peak times, or does it happen throughout the day?

Let me know and I'll gladly look into things further.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
DeeDay
Tuning in
Message 5 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kev,

I have an engineer coming out to today to check my network and the local network as this issue is also occurring at a few of the neighbours houses.

As for peak times, I have noticed that the download speeds are poor during peak hours but this timeout issue is occurring at all hours of the day.

I will let you know what the engineer says.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DeeDay
Tuning in
Message 6 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Engineer has been around. He checked all my cables, changed my superhub and had a play around in the green exchange box but  couldn't find any issues from what he would normally do. However, as soon as he connected his 2 available devices to my superhub, he couldn't browse the Internet as the connection kept timing out.

All he said he could do was to raise it to the network team and let them deal with it as soon as they could. 

So after over a week of poor internet service, I've now just got to wait goodness knows how long before it gets fixed.

Just brilliant service this is that I'm paying for!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Hi DeeDay,

Thanks for posting an update, I'm really sorry for the ongoing issues.

I've checked on the records for the issue being passed to network and there's a note saying things should now be working OK?  Could you confirm if that's the case?  Obviously if not I'll pass it straight back over, just wanted to check.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
DeeDay
Tuning in
Message 8 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Definitely still not working Kev.

Time outs and drop outs still occurringon all devices whether they're wireless or wired. Also affecting the catchup on my TV specifically the iplayer. 

Ive even removed my own wireless router from the network and gone solely back to using the superhub and that hasnt made any difference whatsoever. 

Coming up to 2 weeks now with barely an Internet connection available. Having to tether most things to my mobile phone to actually use the Internet.

I have the phone number of the network technician so I will ring him tomorrow to come back out but I really can't put up with this any longer. 

Only been in in my new house 3 weeks and other than the first week I was there, the Internet just hasn't worked. Seriously thinking of dropping out of my new contract and moving to someone else. 

0 Kudos
DeeDay
Tuning in
Message 9 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Bit of extra information for you Kev that hopefully will help narrow this issue down and get it fixed from your end asap. 

For some reason if I use the standard Internet browser on my iPad/iPhone (safari), any of my installed apps or try and use my PS4 for online gaming or browsing the Internet its nearly impossible to do anything due to the constant intermittent timeouts.

However, if I install a standard PC Internet browser on my iPad/iPhone (such as google chrome) everything becomes a lot more stable without any real timeouts. 

Also, if I take my iPhone off my superhub network and just use my 4G data, everything works fine.

Plus, when I installed the safari browser onto my laptop, the timeout issues reappeared. 

Surely this is something that is an issue on your server side?!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Hey DeeDay,

Thanks for the extra info Smiley Happy

Strictly speaking a web browser just translates the information sent to / from the internet into something with a bit more of a graphical interface.  To my knowledge, what browser you use shouldn't affect how the information is sent to the server or how it comes back, the routes taken by the packets should still be the same as those depend on how the data is moving through our network onto the server that the browser is attempting to access.  

It's definitely odd behaviour, but probably not enough to impact the actual data sent / received.  It'd be more likely that browsers / software would impact the device rather than the connection, saying that, I'm not blaming your equipment, I'm just speculating as to why this might be happening.

I've dropped you a PM so we can take things further, take a look and drop me a reply when you get a minute, we'll go from there.  Catch you soon Smiley Happy

Kev

0 Kudos