Menu
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 61 of 155
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet connection barely usable

Adam_L wrote:

Hi ian-c, 

Thanks for keeping us posted on your slow speeds issues, I can appreciate these can be frustrating especially over long periods of time so apologies for any bother.

I've had a look at things form this side and I can see that your area cable seems to suffer with some load issues, especially during the peak hours. We're planning to undertake some upgrades to parts of our external network in your area in order to combat this.

The reference number for this is F002896495 and is currently scheduled for a review around the middle of August.

I will send you a PM (Purpler envelope at the top) outlining your credit options for this.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Hang on a minute......THIS FAULT NUMBER GOES BACK 2 YEARS!!

'MESSAGE FROM JEN-A' copied from FIRST post on this thread!! 26 MONTHS AGO!!! Yet this is STILL being put back for review in AUGUST THIS YEAR!!!

Are you REALLY serious here Adam-L?? Is this REALLY acceptable?? How can VM honestly defend THIS!!!  

Re: Internet connection barely usable[ New ]

Hi ian-c,

Apologies for your speed issue.

I can see that utilisation is affecting your part of the network - ref; F002896495. Preparations are currently in progress for a network upgrade, we should have more news on this at the end of next month.

I've put notes detailing this issue on your account and you'lll be able to call in to request a credit. Just speak to Customer Services on 150 (free on a VM landline) or 0845 454 1111 (from any other phone).

However, this issue should only impact you at peak times, evenings & weekends. This tallies with the time of your post, but do please let us know if you're having issues at any other times and we'll investigate further.

Best wishes Smiley Happy

Jen

Jen
Forum Team
0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Well-informed
Message 62 of 155
Flag for a moderator

Just for information:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5389247828

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5389260355

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5389268448

Area 20 (South Manchester) Speeds as advertised.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 63 of 155
Flag for a moderator

MrHalfAsleep wrote:

Just for information:

Looking through these forums it seems you're one of the lucky ones. I also get headline speeds 24/7, not from Virgin I may add. The speed you or I get has nothing to do with the OP. Yours just indicates Virgin isn't broken everywhere (yet).

ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 64 of 155
Flag for a moderator

MrHalfAsleep wrote:

Just for information:

And your point is ??

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 17 review dates... Next Review JUNE 2018
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 65 of 155
Flag for a moderator

Adam_L wrote:

Hi ian-c, 

Thanks for keeping us posted on your slow speeds issues, I can appreciate these can be frustrating especially over long periods of time so apologies for any bother.

I've had a look at things form this side and I can see that your area cable seems to suffer with some load issues, especially during the peak hours. We're planning to undertake some upgrades to parts of our external network in your area in order to combat this.

The reference number for this is F002896495 and is currently scheduled for a review around the middle of August.

I will send you a PM (Purpler envelope at the top) outlining your credit options for this.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Thanks for your response Adam, but you are rather late to the party.

You say my area seems to suffer from some load issues? That is a bit of an understatement.

F002896495 has been open and ongoing for twenty seven months now, you have been planning upgrade works for as long as I care to remember. The loss of service credit, although welcome, seems to be the only form of redress short of leaving, and in no way compensates for the poor service!

While you have joined my party, perhaps you could explain to me why, posing as a new customer, I can sign up for VIVID 200 when my area cannot even deliver 3Mbps from around 4pm to well after midnight every evening.

Also I would like an update on my written complaint that I sent on Tuesday 24/05/2016 (Email ref: KMM21465466V98941L0KM)

I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
pagmorrison
On our wavelength
Message 66 of 155
Flag for a moderator

Yes, that moment when you're struggling with an unusable broadband connection, only for someone to come along and tell you how marvelous theirs is.

To use an analogy, it's a bit like coming home from work, to find that the Virgin Media Magic Fairy - let's call her Docsis, has taken a poop all over your carpet!

Just as you're on your hands and knees cleaning it up, asking what have I done to deserve this, someone rushes in and rubs your nose in it!

Parki79
Rising star
Message 67 of 155
Flag for a moderator

Why is it VM cannot be **bleep** in Wigan. A friend has just had his speed improved at the other end of Golborne. I couldn't believe my eyes he was getting 65mb on his 200mb at 9:25 in the evening. I couldn't believe my eyes I can only dream of such speeds. He is only about 2 miles away from me too. 

I am in a Virgin Over Utilised Area - F003476231 - Never Ending Fault.
0 Kudos
keeop
On our wavelength
Message 68 of 155
Flag for a moderator

I would recommend everyone make a complaint to CISAS. I have done this before and it was the only thing that got VM to actually do anything. Now, by doing anything, I don't mean actually fixing the problem but getting a more appropriate level of compensation. From recollection, I think you do need to make a formal complaint to VM first then give it x weeks for a resolution before opening a CISAS complaint. As I said, doing that was the only thing that garnered a response from a senior VM member of staff who could then sort out some back-dated compensation. Unfortunately, it didn't help with the resolution - which was unsurprisingly over-utilisation - but it was at least an acknowledgement of the seriousness of the problem. That fault lasted over two years. I now have another utilisation fault that has been ongoing for about 8 months. Luckily, I should be moving soon to an area with alternative fibre offerings. I do like the concept of what VM is offering but unfortunately the reality is somewhat different so I'll be off as soon as I can. Been cabled now for seventeen years - get less for murder!

Cheers.

Keeop

0 Kudos
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 69 of 155
Flag for a moderator

A 5.4GB update that should take approximately eighteen minutes, download started over one hour ago, reports it is going to take another four hours to complete.... absolutely marvellous.

Current download data transfer speed: 0.33MBps that's 2.64Mbps. A quick speed check shows my current connection is maxing out at 2.9Mbps.

0 Kudos
cje85
Super solver
Message 70 of 155
Flag for a moderator

ian-c wrote:

A 5.4GB update that should take approximately eighteen minutes, download started over one hour ago, reports it is going to take another four hours to complete.... absolutely marvellous.

Current download data transfer speed: 0.33MBps that's 2.64Mbps. A quick speed check shows my current connection is maxing out at 2.9Mbps.

You may be impacted by the single-thread download problem, on top of the over-utilisation. This means file downloads are much slower even during the day when there's no utilisation problem.

One way to tell is to do a speed test on ThinkBroadband.com and see if the single thread (Green line) speeds are much slower than multi-thread (Yellow). Here's an example from my connection last night:

)146603059600070210751.png

This was logged as a fault (F004363933 - Poor HTTP download speeds) but now any mention of it seems to be met with silence. 

0 Kudos