Menu
JOSEPH767UK
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Internet Speed Test

Hi.

Monday 28th November 2016 I got broadband 100 mgs installed. Doing all the speed test during the day I get around 100 mgs so no problem there. For the past 2 days at peek times 8 am and onward my speed goes down to 2 megs. I hope this is not the normal. I am paying for a service I expect to get one.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet Speed Test

Slow speeds only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) and full speed off peak is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days (up to a week) to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they should provide a fault reference and pass your details onto another team who should inform you about your credit options for the lack of service via a PM. They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault. Note that it is a review date not an expected fix date (phone support lke to tell customers it is a fix date) and some customers affected by this kind of issue have been waiting years for a fix.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi JOSEPH767UK, 

Thanks for the post! I am sorry to hear about your slow broadband speeds! I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested things from here and I can see that your area cable seems to be suffering some load issues, especially during the peak times. We're planning to undertake some upgrades to parts of our external network in your are in order to combat this.

The upgrades will be to improve bandwidth and performance during the peak hours. The reference number for this is F003604061 and is currently scheduled in for review around the end of December. 

One of my colleagues will be in touch with some more information, thanks for your patience with this matter.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Should be on the last day of your cooling off period just about?

Leave today and find another provider or you will be stuck with this.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos