Menu
pjshots
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I'm fed up of turning it off and on

So then, it all started a few months back, no Internet. At the time I'd recently upgraded to 150Mbps with glee. It was fast and went very well and I got a new SH2 box with DOCSIS3 :-) 

My problem started one evening when I was unable watch youtube clips or browse with any consistency. I looked into different speed tests and found that my speed was suffering. Not one to shy away from a challenge, I took a look at the SH2 and its status looked ok, nothing out of the ordinary. Restarted the SH2 and thats where it came unstuck... no VM IP address....

Called them up... I have to turn it off then on > take it out of modem mode and reset to factory > turn off then on.   Funnily enough it worked after about 3 restarts. No problem with that; returned it to modem only mode and the unit was fine.

About a month ago, a similar sort of thing happened. This time I knew what the issue was and called up VM asking for new SH2 as its obv something isn't right with either the line or the SH2. Was told to do the above (VM really like telling you to take the SH2 out of modem mode, really annoying!) and on the 4th restart it finally got an IP address and all was well. I asked if I could please have a new SH2 but they said no. The next day I got a text saying that someone would be visiting, but like any normal worker, I happen to work during the hours of 9-5 and I didn't even know they were coming.

This evening, it seems its all starting to undo again... slow performance slow browsing and that dreaded Youtube buffering issue has returned. Getting a little fed up with this. Yes, speedtest.net  says I get 150Mbps but its going straight to VM in Luton so it would wouldn't it.

Other speed tests:

Speedof.me: http://speedof.me/show.php?img=161029171639-1722.png

Fast: 53Mbps - 3 tests averaged 

Fed up of ringing a company that tells you to turn it off and on. If you have to do it that often, its crap and needs replacing!

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: I'm fed up of turning it off & on

Hi! Welcome to the forums!

This sounds like a strange problem, have you tried turning your router off for a few minutes and then turning it back on? Smiley Wink

All joking aside, of you are truely unhappy with them, consider the upcoming price increase as a means of leaving penalty free and going with a competitor.

As a heads up as well, if you were on any superhub, you were on DOCSIS3. It's only just recently come up in the adverts as a marketing tool, but it's been around years.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
pjshots
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

:-) thats nice. I'd just like some consistency with the service all the time, isn't that what I'm paying for? Getting a new hub should be easy as I don't own the equipment, they do so swapping it should be easy. Its not like I can go out and buy a modem for VM (brought my own router to get away from their horrid version of the netgear software for the SH anyhow)

To be honest, I get a good ride with VM. I don't need a phone line so if I switch to another provider, the first thing I'll have to do is get one costing me £17 for something I don't use just to get BT/Talk Talk, Sky or Plusnet 'broadband', not something I want to do.

Guess I'll have to build an IoT device to power cycle the thing every night just to make sure its working the next day :-)

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi pjshots, 

Thanks for getting in touch! I am sorry to hear that you have too keep turning your Hub on and off due to the inconsistent speeds, I apologise for any troubles.

I have run some diagnostics on your connection form my end and I noticed that you're only locking onto one upstream channel and the power level for that channel is too high. Also, your modem's SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) levels are too low.

An engineer will be required to resolve this for you, I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking. Please respond to me there and I'll get his all sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos