Menu
Sammib70
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Frustrating broadband speed

My broadband has been very, very slow during peak times/evenings for a few months now. Help please.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Frustrating broadband speed

Sammib70 wrote:
Is that 2018???? 😳😳😳😳😳

That's totally unacceptable. Vote with your feet and leave because a "review" date does not guarantee a fix. You could wait all that time and not see any improvement. Many utilisation faults have lasted over 2 years and there doesn't seem to be any incentives/sanctions to encourage VM to get on with fixing them.

You're also entitled to a discount on your bill for the duration of the fault should you decide to stay.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016

All Replies
Sammib70
Joining in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have superfibre 50
0 Kudos
voicon
Up to speed
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sammib70

If you have full speed during normal times it does sound like over utilisation of your area.

Are you testing on wired or wifi, remember Wifi can be worse during peak hours if you are in a populated area with lots of others using it, best to use wired to start with to narrow down the issue if Possible? 

It would also be useful to post your hub stats just in case...

Open a browser window and input the URL 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 if in modem mode) and this should open up the hub's management screen.   Do NOT sign in but simply click on Router Status and post here the Upstream and Downstream stats and the network log.

If these check out you can wait a few days for a VM support team member to check your network segment or call 150 to get an answer straight away (maybe), personally if you don't mind waiting I would for the forum team.

Cheers

Karl

0 Kudos
greeniegirl
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

hello

If you have an ethernet connection to a laptop or pc run the speed test on speed test.net and see what results you get...please make sure you have nothing downloading in the background of the device or other devices such as iPad's, game consoles etc running just so that you get a true reflection of the speed you are getting.  If you are not getting anywhere near 50mbps then ring 151 for assistance :-)

I am a virginmedia employee but all opinions are my own.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Evening Sammib70,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to read you are experiencing slow broadband speeds during peak hours. 

I've managed to locate your account and it appears you are affected by a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. The reference number is F004398551 and has a review date of 3rd January. As this is a review date it can be subject to change.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Sammib70
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Is that 2018???? 😳😳😳😳😳
0 Kudos
Sammib70
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

😩
0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sammib70 wrote:
Is that 2018???? 😳😳😳😳😳

That's totally unacceptable. Vote with your feet and leave because a "review" date does not guarantee a fix. You could wait all that time and not see any improvement. Many utilisation faults have lasted over 2 years and there doesn't seem to be any incentives/sanctions to encourage VM to get on with fixing them.

You're also entitled to a discount on your bill for the duration of the fault should you decide to stay.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
Jackson711
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have had the same problem for a while. VM don't seem to be interested as I have contacted them regarding this and the response is along the lines of - you are using at busy times ! Not amused and it would appear that any time is a busy time. 

0 Kudos