Menu
paulg0
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Evening speed problems in my area

Hi I am having speed problems with my connection,

Paying for the 150meg service and getting perfect speed tests during the day but as the evening starts the connection drops back to 30meg down - 10meg up.

It looks to me like the networks being traffic shaped to this speed as it is spot on 30meg every evening.....

Please confirm if the network will be upgraded soon to improve things....

Area is Central London WC1N postcode

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 20.41.49.jpgScreen Shot 2017-02-22 at 20.41.02.jpgScreen Shot 2017-02-22 at 16.00.15.png

0 Kudos
Travelstar
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Evening speed problems in my area

I'm not very far from you and this mirrors my experience. In fact you get a little more than me most evenings it seems, and I am on the 200 Gamer package.

The issue we both face is primarily due to what is called 'over-utilisation', although compared to complaints generally made on this forum by some members, we are both relatively lucky. Some receive far less than 10Mbps! In essence, everyone comes home in the evening, switches on their computers and TVs, and the shared bandwidth available quickly gets saturated. This results in the drop between your expected max and the average bandwidth actually available in the area. You need to remember that cable is actually a shared medium.

The good news is that 30Mbps is still pretty decent. Most of us also in our area don't have BT to fall back upon as most of central London (contrary to popular opinion) is not covered by FTTC/FTTH/FTTP. 30Mbps therefore is still better than anything that BT is willing to provide. Also it is more than fast enough for most services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime.

This is probably not what you want to hear though. The only way things will improve is for Virgin to provide more backhaul capacity. Sadly the ducts in our area are fairly full, more bandwidth costs money, and as we are a captive audience..........

FWIW, I wrote a letter to the BT CEO and Chairman a few years back re getting FTTC/FTTH/FTTP and was told to request funding from the rural broadband fund. Needless to say, I know that is not actually a rationale response as it was not designed to fund internet connectivity for central London residents, so we really are just left with Virgin.

Your other realistic option is Relish (UK Broadband, although recent taken over by 3) which provides an LTE based service to central London residence. Sadly most of the reviews of the Relish service are pretty poor which is a shame. Having said that, as they used LTE in the 3.5GHz part of the spectrum, building penetration is not great and therefore none of this is really surprising. If you can arrange for a shared antenna for your building, the connection issue can potentially be gotten around, although you will still be limited by speeds they currently provide residential users which I believe tops out at 40Mbps.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi paulg0,

Welcome to the Community!

I'm really sorry to hear you're having trouble with your speed.

I've located your account and I can see an issue with the network in your area affecting speeds at peak times. I've arranged for one of my colleagues to contact you within the next few days to give you more information.

All the best! Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Andy1975
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Brace yourself for a LONG wait, they have not even given it a review date and a fault code yet!!

0 Kudos
Farhana
Superfast
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

At least the mass deployment of Hyperoptic in Central London is something to smile about.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi there paulg0,

Hope you don't mind me taking a look into this for you.

The fault you are experiencing with slow broadband speeds, has now been raised to our networks team for further investigation.

To discuss this further, I have sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner).

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos