Menu
Swi1ch
Joining in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Connection unusable after 4pm.

I noticed some issues start about two months ago, but at the time using the service status fault checker had a reasonable success rate.Over the last month however my connection has deteriorated to almost nothing. At this point everything starts going downhill after about 4pm.

Speed varies a lot, between 10 - 70, sometimes dropping into 0.X range. One minute I'll run a test and get 70mb+, then i'll try again and the speedtest won't even start. 

Using the service status fault checker achieves nothing, or occasionally reports that my equipment isn't turned on, which is interesting because i'm not sure how i'd be running the test otherwise.

The last time this happened, I also got massive packet-loss spikes. I don't know how to test for this, but when I try and play online games I maintain a stable ping whilst getting huge lag, which I assume is indicitive. Watching livestreams is impossible in any quality mode, youtube becomes unbareable by 7pm, and by 9pm viewing images goes out the window too.

I've tried switching my Superhub to modem mode, but this results in having no connectivity whatsoever; I can't even access the Superhub via my browser and the modem mode IP. I had to factory reset my hub to regain access.

I'm using a wired connection and everything has been restarted/reset multiple times. 

FWIW, this is exactly the same issue I had for half of 2013 and most of 2014.

0 Kudos
Swi1ch
Joining in
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connection unusable after 4pm.

Bump. I've seen a minor improvement over the last week but my connection is still terrible in the evenings.

0 Kudos
Swi1ch
Joining in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Bump, now with Downstream/Upstream stats. Network log is empty. Also with speedtest to Wolverhampton servers, both VM and non-VM.

downstream.JPG

upstream.JPG

vmwolves.JPG

nonvmwolves.JPG

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

FYI Bumping round here doesn't work the way you think it does. The forum team respond to the oldest post waiting for a reply. This means if you keep posting on the thread then it will bump you to the bottom of their list. For the quickest response, post once and they will get to you as soon as possible.

Slow speeds only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days (up to a week) to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they should provide a fault reference and inform you about your credit options for the lack of service via a PM. They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault. Note that it is a review date not an expected fix date and some customers affected by this kind of issue have been waiting years for a fix.

However the downstream power levels you posted are too high so that won't be helping matters.  The recommended range is -6 to +10 and all of your channels are above 10.  This will need an engineer visit to sort out the power levels. You can call VM and try to book a visit or wait for the VM staff to get to this thread and they can help you book a visit.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Morning Swi1ch,

Thanks for posting on the community. It's nice to have you back here.

My apologies that you are having issues with your broadband speeds.

As Scott mentioned the downstream power levels are too high and I can arrange an engineer appointment to get these adjusted for you. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please. Once you have replied I can go ahead with the appointment.

I've checked the network and the traffic is running low, which is good. If after the visit, there are still issues we can continue with diagnostics to see what is causing this issue.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Swi1ch
Joining in
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, the engineer came today and altered the settings. However it's not changed my current issues. 

speed311.JPG

downstream.JPG311.JPG

upstream.JPG311.JPG

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Swi1ch,

Thanks for getting back to me and apologies for the late reply.

Checking your connection, the power levels are now within range and the network segment is running stable with no issues, which is great.

Does this continue to happen only after 4pm or can it be at all times of the day?

When you next notice this drop in speeds, complete a speed test whilst the Super Hub is in modem mode to see if the speeds differ please?

Let me know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Swi1ch
Joining in
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

As mentioned previously, I cannot use modem mode. Activating modem mode completely cuts off my connection; I have absolutely nothing coming through my wired connection, and I cannot access the modem through my browser at the 198.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1. This requires a factory reset to fix. I hadn't tried it since the engineer's visit so have just done so, and it's taken 6+ attempts over the course of an hour to get any connection back. My speed has also dropped from a weak 15mb to a miserable 5mb since attempting modem mode, which is more of a drop off than I would have expected for this time.

As for my general connection, it seems to start to drop off around 6pm, hitting its low around 9-10pm, and going back to normal around 11pm-midnight. It's a small sample size, but it seems that Sundays and Mondays are the worst, with my connection dropping off earlier, harder, and with considerably lower peak speeds. I'm mostly estimating here but it seems that peak-low speeds on Sunday/Monday hit around 5mb at about the 9pm mark, whereas Friday and Saturday usually have peak-lows of around 15mb. don't know if it's relevant but when I first had my install I was having issues that mostly manifested on Sundays and Mondays.

Even when I'm getting 15mb, things don't seem quite right as that should be sufficient speed to watch youtube videos or twitch streams in 1080p, but I generally find I have to drop the quality to 480p to view without buffering, and even then it can be janky.

As it stands I'm starting to wonder if this isn't a simple case of a faulty superhub?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Swi1ch,

Thanks for the reply.

In regards to the Super Hub not working in modem mode, I've sent you a PM with some information.

With the slow speeds are you able to create a Broadband Quality Monitor please so we can see if there is any packet loss/latency during these times.

Speak soon

Sam

0 Kudos
Swi1ch
Joining in
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos