Menu
tonyking1968
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Broadband

I am getting huge differences in speed on my broadband, I have taken readings between 1.8 & 44.7 mbps download speeds. I have tried channels 1,7 & 13 on the hub and they are all close.
Any ideas out there or am I stuck with it?
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband

I am not sure how accurate the STB measurement would be.

However, to check if there is anything obviously amiss with your local circuit it would be worth posting some basic diagnostic info may help.

Navigate to the hub's GUI using http://192.168.100.1
Don't log in, click the Router Status button in the top right of the screen.
Copy \ Paste the Downstream, Upstream, and Network Logs.

Don't worry about the formatting, but do obscure personal information like your WAN IP address.

Do you notice the speeds dropping during the evening.

Did you download a wireless scanner before changing channels? From your first post I see you have tried changing channels. Channel 7 is usually a bad channel as channels overlap on the 2.4Ghz with only 3 non-overlapping channels, 1 6 and 11, which most routers tend to use. So, if there are other networks broadcasting on channel 6 then they willbe interferring with channel 7, disrupting your connection. A wireless scanner will show this.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Cooper1480
Dialled in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Do not hold your breath on a stable service anytime soon.

I have been having issues since May 2016, issues so severe I started taking note of every drop, outage and bad delivery of speed with times of the day and night. They said it would be fixed Feb 16/2017. Guess what after calling about why my Top tier package is still dog poo after the fix date. I was told the issue will now be fixed in May 2017. This is due to over utilization. Quite clearly they have oversold their ability to provide a service. I have always paid for top tier packages with Diamond NTL now Virgin the only difference was the 10mb  down and 2mb up was fine & stable back 10  years ago. However i expect a better service 10 years on not a downgrade to dialup for the same money

Virgin always sell you on to secure a better speed and then not have that delivered for best part of a year is robbery without violence.

I am thoroughly disgusted by the standard of service I have been paying for. After countless calls to CR to receive a May 2017 fix..................

Edit: Service Vivid 200 Gamer NG17 Area30

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

tonyking1968 wrote:
I am getting huge differences in speed on my broadband, I have taken readings between 1.8 & 44.7 mbps download speeds. I have tried channels 1,7 & 13 on the hub and they are all close.
Any ideas out there or am I stuck with it?

First of all, I would test the speed of your internet connection with a device connected directly to the hub by ethernet cable, wireless is just too unreliable to test the connection speed accurately.

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.

I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

0 Kudos
tonyking1968
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for the replies.
I have an STB connected by ethernet cable and took a reading on that earlier today, it was 3mbps. I have also changed radio frequencies on the hub to no avail. I came back to Virgin from Sky because the broadband is supposed to be the best in this area, beginning to think I made a mistake.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I am not sure how accurate the STB measurement would be.

However, to check if there is anything obviously amiss with your local circuit it would be worth posting some basic diagnostic info may help.

Navigate to the hub's GUI using http://192.168.100.1
Don't log in, click the Router Status button in the top right of the screen.
Copy \ Paste the Downstream, Upstream, and Network Logs.

Don't worry about the formatting, but do obscure personal information like your WAN IP address.

Do you notice the speeds dropping during the evening.

Did you download a wireless scanner before changing channels? From your first post I see you have tried changing channels. Channel 7 is usually a bad channel as channels overlap on the 2.4Ghz with only 3 non-overlapping channels, 1 6 and 11, which most routers tend to use. So, if there are other networks broadcasting on channel 6 then they willbe interferring with channel 7, disrupting your connection. A wireless scanner will show this.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi there tonyking1968,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read you are experiencing slow broadband speeds.

Looking at your connection, there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. The reference number is F004775491 and has a review date of 8th March.

I also noticed that the downstream power levels are too high and for this I would like to arrange an engineer appointment to adjust these for you. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos