Menu
KVC
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speeds

Since taking the free upgrade to 200mps I have been experiencing speed issues and the Internet dropping out quite often. I rang to report it as a fault, and was advised to downgrade back to 152mps and apparently the 200mps isn't working properly. 

Has anyone done this and seen an increase in speeds? 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband speeds

Hi KVC,

Apologies for your broadband issues since upgrading. I'd like to know more about these reduced speeds and disconnections please. Hope you don't mind answering a few questions:

• Were you provided with a new Hub when you upgraded?
  • How often are you experiencing disconnections (i.e. hourly, daily, weekly etc)?
  • Does the Hub appear to reboot or reset when this happens?
  • Which devices are affected, wired or wireless (or both)?
    Please run a couple of speed tests via speedtest.net using the default servers, and post the results on here.

If you can think of any additional information that may help us diagnose the issue then please include it in your reply. We'll then see if we can work out what's causing this.

Bye for now Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Doesn't really matter if your package is 152 or 200. It comes down the same line into your house, through the same hardware etc through the network. All 200Mbs does is have a larger setting in the profile for download.

If their are issues on the line they need to be looked at before upgrading / downgrading as you will suffer regardless.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
KVC
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply - I did contact the support line to report the problems and it was them who told me to contact Customer services and downgrade as it was fine until we upgraded so I don't know what to do now.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi KVC,

Apologies for your broadband issues since upgrading. I'd like to know more about these reduced speeds and disconnections please. Hope you don't mind answering a few questions:

• Were you provided with a new Hub when you upgraded?
  • How often are you experiencing disconnections (i.e. hourly, daily, weekly etc)?
  • Does the Hub appear to reboot or reset when this happens?
  • Which devices are affected, wired or wireless (or both)?
    Please run a couple of speed tests via speedtest.net using the default servers, and post the results on here.

If you can think of any additional information that may help us diagnose the issue then please include it in your reply. We'll then see if we can work out what's causing this.

Bye for now Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
KVC
Joining in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply, We were not given a new hub, and since upgrading the download speeds have gone from 100+ to around 30ish. I use Ookla to test the speed and tried to copy the results here but couldn't work out how to do it. This mornings test gave a download speed of 37.29. We are usuing wifi and it loses connection several times a day. I am not sure what else I can tell you except that I often try rebooting the router and technical support said there is nothing apparently wrong with it when they run their tests.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

What's speeds do you get wired? Will let you know if there is an issue on line or if it's wireless only.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
KVC
Joining in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi sorry I have been away from home. Wired seems a bit better but nowhere near what I would expect at 64 mps. The wireless is till dropping out. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi KVC,

Really sorry to hear about the slow speeds you've been experiencing.

I've managed to locate your account and there are currently two separate issues in your area which could potentially impact your connection.

There is a high demand for our service in your area, which would cause slow speeds. This fault has been raised on your account and our networks team are looking to resolve this ASAP under the ticket reference of F004121828. There is currently a review date set for this for 17/08/2016.

I've contacted a team regarding this issue, and they will be in touch with you via private message to discuss this further.

The second issue concerns SNR, which can cause intermittent connection. There is also a fault ticket raised for this with the reference of F004632241. The review date is set for 28/07/2016.

In the meantime, I would recommend changing the WiFi channels to help strengthen this type of connection.

I am very sorry for any inconvenience caused.

The team will be in touch with you soon.

Take care,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

KVC
Joining in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

Thank you for your reply I have kept meaning to call and follow up with technical support but been so busy with work that it's very useful to me to get a response like this. I will await the private message and the outcome of the review.  I do have one question though - how do I change the wifi channels - is it in the hub settings?

Thanks 

Kathy

0 Kudos
KVC
Joining in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Please can I have an update on this - I notice the credit is no longer being applied to my account. Thanks

0 Kudos