Menu
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 41 of 87
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Speed: Discussion Thread

unisoft wrote:

Dover, Temple Ewell, River and Kearsney in Kent used to have excellent Virgin Media services with no slowdown during peak or off peak. It was a text book example of how VM should work for years. Thinkbroadband now also finally noticed this in speed tests

Temple Ewell.. I used to live there around 30 years ago, although I can't imagine where I lived getting cable as it was up a massive flight of steps.. Sorry Temple Ewell is quite a small space so I couldn't let a mention of it go Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
unisoft
Up to speed
Message 42 of 87
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Speed: Discussion Thread

stevedh2 wrote:

unisoft wrote:

Dover, Temple Ewell, River and Kearsney in Kent used to have excellent Virgin Media services with no slowdown during peak or off peak. It was a text book example of how VM should work for years. Thinkbroadband now also finally noticed this in speed tests

Temple Ewell.. I used to live there around 30 years ago, although I can't imagine where I lived getting cable as it was up a massive flight of steps.. Sorry Temple Ewell is quite a small space so I couldn't let a mention of it go Smiley Happy

It is, but it has bigger populations of Kearsney and River and Dover - and we are ALL affected by "something" to do with CMTS being River Delta/Motorola reported to be QOS throttling and incompatibility of the type used. I also think Folkestone has River Delta. Now that's a BIG area of people. And I am in detached house with the green cabinet across my road. Its a big cable subscriber area too as a lot of people don't like dishes round here, but its never had a traffic over utilisation issue in the past.

Being small as you put it, my subscription is not any smaller, and it used to work fine before this change was done so in my book its down to VM to flaming fix it. It was working brilliantly - used to be full rates peak or off-peak and this happened virtually overnight and since December 2016 been getting worse since.

0 Kudos
davehoward
On our wavelength
Message 43 of 87
Flag for a moderator

Re: sloooooow speeds at peak times

Looks like this issue is on Watchdog BBC1 tonight!
0 Kudos
Spitfire16
Up to speed
Message 44 of 87
Flag for a moderator

Correction,

It was on last night Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
davehoward
On our wavelength
Message 45 of 87
Flag for a moderator

Crap I missed it lol any good?
0 Kudos
KeithW
Fibre optic
Message 46 of 87
Flag for a moderator

You can watch it yourself on iPlayer

******************************************************************************************************************************
All the voices in my head are my own voices - Find your own!

If I have helped you then please click on the "thumbs up" icon.

If you feel I have helped to solve your problem then please mark my message as a "Helpful Answer"

MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 47 of 87
Flag for a moderator

I used to watch Watchdog when Ann Robinson was on it, when it was a lot more serious.  I found the article relatively unimpressive and the programme has  been dumbed down. It looked like a lot of ranty people sat around ranting.  Obviously, they want fast speeds as advertised ehich may happen some of (but not all) the time.  Peak time is called peak time 'cause everyone is on it at the same time, so it's gonna be slower.  I'm on the 70Mb tier.

I did the tests below a few moments ago:

5heHLtT4I.Z1KDOSHhA.

and for some balance:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/94accd9d-1644-4d53-8dbc-0db514d739a8

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos
Joe92
Fibre optic
Message 48 of 87
Flag for a moderator

"Peak time is called peak time 'cause everyone is on it at the same time, so it's gonna be slower."

--> that's exactly what VM/Liberty want you and everyone else affected by critical speed degradation to think!

If everyone took the same view there would be no need for public awareness programs/ connected organisations like Watchdog...Horizon...CISAS...OFCOM etc. There's a huge difference between an accepted 'tolerated' temporary reduction and the severe reductions we see time and time again here.

unisoft
Up to speed
Message 49 of 87
Flag for a moderator

Or indeed 24/7 slow download speeds, slower than what you can get from standard ADSL if you are on River Delta CMTS kit! 200 is anywhere from 1 to 6mbps on average..
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 50 of 87
Flag for a moderator

VM Broadband Speeds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40504354

BBC Watchdog: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08xk11f/watchdog-series-38-episode-2 about 3 minutes in...

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos