Menu
cherryping
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Bandwidth

Virgin broadband speeds in the evening and at weekends have been a problem for ages in my area, Bromley, area 20.  I was given a new modem, which didn't help and despite complaining I have been given several different answers.

It came to a head a couple of weeks ago when my son had to spoonfeed me through a beta download on his X-box.  It had to be done before 6pm as at that time it would only take 30 minutes whereas after 6pm it would take hours.  The X-box is hard-wired to the modem.

I apparently get up to 100 mps and my laptop gets around 67 mps during the day.  However in the evening and a t weekends we have logged a minimum of 3mps and a maximum of 12 mps.  Also, one of us will be 'bumped off' the internet at any given time which was terrible for me in January 2016 when I was trying to do my son's tax return!

If I ring tech support during the day they ask me to do a speed test, then tell me that the speed is good, which I already know.  If I ring in the evening, I am given several different excuses as to the reason for the slow speed some of them being: 

• despite the X-box being hard-wired to the modem it is either not connected properly or something is wrong with it
  • there are too many devices trying to use the modem at the same time (when the latest modem was installed, I was told that it would cope with up to 100 devices and we have 8-9)
  • too many people have signed up to Virgin Media and the servers need updating (Virgin should have done this first, not be giving loyal customers a bad service!)

My son is a qualified IT technician and says all this is rubbish...it is all to do with the bandwidth.  Other companies manage to get good, consistant broadband speeds (next door have no problem with BT for instance), so why are we at Virgin having such a problem.

Also, whenever I ask for someone's name to complain in writing, no-one is able to give me one, nor am I offered any form of compensation.  My solution is to now write to the CEO and Mark Davidson (the executive director, customer care) as he is quite happy to bump up the price of my services, but appears unable to deliver.  I have also contacted Watchdog.

If none of this gets me any results, I will be straight on to Ofcom and perhaps Virgin will rectify the situation which seems to be countrywide.  Please sort this out Virgin and stop getting your customer care operatives to fob me off in the hope that I will shut up and go away - I won't!!!

pete7049
Well-informed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bandwidth

Type Bromley into the search bar at the top of this page. Plenty of posts about your area. "Too many people"

F003443743. December '14 - May '17.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

not to argue with your son but he is [sort of] wrong on the 3rd point - i dont know how they upgrade the system - its not only servers but you describe classic utilisation/congestion

bandwidth or whatever there is only so much capacity on your part of the network - thats fixed - too many people using it at peak times has to be shared out so slow speeds - 3am when all [most] good people are in bed so the few that are using the internet have good speeds

bringing BT into it proves nothing - different systems but they have similar problems in some areas i believe

the VM people here will confirm if its utilisation - if it is they will give you a fault number and a review date - note the word 'review' - it is just taht and will likely move many times into the future - 2 years is certainly possible for utilisation issues to be resolved

the fault number will get you a reduction in your bill - its not a fortune but its better than full price

the Ceo's office will sympathize [probably] but there little to nothing thay can do - OFCOM are not interested in individual cases so again if they reply it will be no more than sympathy

you have choices if its proved to be utilisation 

put up with it if you have no alternative at a slightly lower cost

or leave - you say BT give good service - thats an alternative

if you are in contract the impending price increase is a get out of jail card as you can leave without penalty at the moment - thats ends 30 days [maybe 14] after the price increase kicks in i believe

Tony
colic
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The simple fact is that Virgin should warn new customers of these over subscribed areas before tying them in for a 12 month contract. This does not happen over night and they should be well aware of the usage in areas that are going to become over subscribed. It is hardly fair for someone to take out a 12 month contract have great speeds for 2 months and then be stuck in a contract with a connection that is not even capable of streaming a Netflix film at peak time.

I am lucky in the sense my problems have come 10 months into my contract so am lucky enough to be able to cancel the contract at the end of the period as well as the TV subscription as the Tivo boxes are a complete farce compared to sky boxes.

I myself am paying £135 a month for two diabolical TiVo boxes and a "200 meg" line that cannot even stream a Netflix film at peak time....
kevinV
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

same here Virgin is a complete joke when it comes to advertised Broadband speeds and the useability of the TIVO boxes.  They are running a scam and getting away with it.  I can tether my 4G 3 connected mobile at greater speeds than virgin.

They should stop telling lies about the speeds that can be maintained over more than a month.  I will need to look around for a provider that can at least provide speeds above 20mb.

0 Kudos
cherryping
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have finally 'solved' my problem with Virgin thanks to a very helpful website https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/guides/help/broadband-consumer-rights

As they were unable to resolve my problem within ten days they were in breach of contract and have let me leave with no cost to me.  They telephoned today to ask me if there was any way I would stay, but last night my speed was 0.01 Mbps, and I told them that I am now going over to BT who guarantee a minimum speed of 20Mbps and no penalty opt out if it goes below that.  Sky offer the same.

I will be getting a slower speed during the day but I am not worried about that.

I ordered the equivalent package that I have with Virgin and have nearly halved my bill which I am really pleased about.  More importantly the chat function enabled me to let them set up my package and I more or less just signed the order form.  When I had to reboot my computer half way through, I thought I would have to start again from scratch, but the next person I chatted with was able to put me through to the first person - most impressive!  They have also helped me with questions since I placed the order, and the difference with the quality of customer service is wonderful.

When I got off the phone with Virgin this morning, Yodel knocked at my door with a package from Virgin which I hadn't been told was coming so I refused it.  Does the left hand know what the right hand is doing?

0 Kudos