Menu
janrats
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Bad speeds

Why is it everytime I ring up Virgin I am kept waiting for 20 minutes to tell them my broadband is slow. I am only getting between 5mb - 12mb and times.  I have been promised twice it has been boosted and will stay like this but after half an hour it goes back to slow speeds.   Is it still free to call 150 and 151 they keep you waiting that long I will be furious if there is now a charge has they fail to put on their website whether it is still free from Virgin landline.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Bad speeds

Superhub1 bad - needs replacing if you use wifi.
Superhub2 - access to dual antenna (better wireless again) - wired uneffected
Superhub2ac - access to AC compatible device for even more stability on wireless IF you have AC devices. - wired uneffected
Superhub3 - access to more downstream channels (if your areas CMTS support this), potentially lowers the effect of over utilization as your connection is more 'spread out'. - buggy as hell, feels like a downgrade over the 2ac.

That's the differences, if you are on a superhub1 you should of been upgraded.

The wired side of the hubs doesn't change whichever one you are on (with the exception of the 3 'potentially' lowering effects of congestion)

All the hubs are 'get you going' wireless devices though, if you want better you need to invest your own money on a good router + capable devices.

They likely just changed your wireless channel to a less congested one, helps for a bit till more people join it then it's more congested again.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ask for a 2ac. The 3 has many issues currently.

What one do you have currently?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Oh! the superhub1 is terrible, only 1 antenna so that's bad enough, and you can't use 2ghz and 5ghz on it, just one or the other.

Default is set to 2ghz and that's congested to hell so yeah, wireless will be terrible on it.

Ring up, complain about wifi, ask for a 2ac and specifically not a superhub3.

Or wait for forum team member to post and request via PM.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

What they've said is partly true. No ISP will provision for wireless speeds, the advertised speeds are for wired.

Wireless is up and down (and not guaranteed) but if any customer is using a superhub1 still (and using wireless) the least they could do is upgrade to a superhub2 so you can use the 5ghz band easier (and better range).

Just complain that the wireless keeps dropping out and doesn't reach all parts of your house and that you can't use all your devices at the same time as some are 2ghz and some 5ghz. Then they have to upgrade your hub. Specify that the hub3 is buggy as hell so you would like a 2ac instead.

Just certain things that need to be said to trigger them Smiley Tongue

If you call up during business hours (9-5 weekdays) and ask to go through to cancellations, you should get through to the Swansea lot and they will do what they can to keep your custom.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 12 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Go for the 2ac not the 2

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

There is nothing the phone staff can do to 'boost' your signal. They can change your wireless settings/channels and reboot your router.

Are the slow speeds wireless for you or wired?

janrats
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thats means 2 of Virgins customer rep have took lies to me. They both say they have boosted the speed but after half an hour it drops back down. I cant understand though why I used to get 30mb and then they boosted for up to 70mb and now my speed has gone slower at 12mb. Yet I have been charged extra for a speed boost which is slower.  I asked them whether the new superhub 3 would  make it any better because I have the old superhub. It has never been any good. The older one before this was better but they say it will make no difference.  So whats the point of upping Superhub if it doesnt make any difference.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Superhub1 bad - needs replacing if you use wifi.
Superhub2 - access to dual antenna (better wireless again) - wired uneffected
Superhub2ac - access to AC compatible device for even more stability on wireless IF you have AC devices. - wired uneffected
Superhub3 - access to more downstream channels (if your areas CMTS support this), potentially lowers the effect of over utilization as your connection is more 'spread out'. - buggy as hell, feels like a downgrade over the 2ac.

That's the differences, if you are on a superhub1 you should of been upgraded.

The wired side of the hubs doesn't change whichever one you are on (with the exception of the 3 'potentially' lowering effects of congestion)

All the hubs are 'get you going' wireless devices though, if you want better you need to invest your own money on a good router + capable devices.

They likely just changed your wireless channel to a less congested one, helps for a bit till more people join it then it's more congested again.

0 Kudos
janrats
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thats great thanks   yes I think I had better ask for a new hub.  They say they only give the new ones to new customers but I will ask again see if I can get one.  This one is so old and I have never liked it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ask for a 2ac. The 3 has many issues currently.

What one do you have currently?

0 Kudos
janrats
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The very first superhub which came out years ago. The one before that was a separate router and hub which was actually quicker and better than the superhub 1. this one jumps from 5mb 12mb then 18mb then 30mb in half an hour it never stays the same in any period. I know they do vary but I am only about 7 foot and direct line of sight from the router. But before they started the upgrade it was actually more stable and I always got about 30mb. Seems strange how when they say they have upgraded you your speed goes down by half and you get charged more!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Oh! the superhub1 is terrible, only 1 antenna so that's bad enough, and you can't use 2ghz and 5ghz on it, just one or the other.

Default is set to 2ghz and that's congested to hell so yeah, wireless will be terrible on it.

Ring up, complain about wifi, ask for a 2ac and specifically not a superhub3.

Or wait for forum team member to post and request via PM.

0 Kudos
janrats
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yes I did ring up a while ago and asked if I could have a more updated hub they said no because it would not improve my speed. Told them it was so bad now. especially when I have supposed to have been upgraded. They never asked me just put the so called speed up and charge more. Not what I wanted especially now my speed is gone down my half. Virgin said thats what wireless is like up and down and the speed they advertise is only for wired not wireless. So if they dont upgrade me to the superhub 2ac will be leaving when my contract ends in March. So will ring them again, Thanks everybody
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

What they've said is partly true. No ISP will provision for wireless speeds, the advertised speeds are for wired.

Wireless is up and down (and not guaranteed) but if any customer is using a superhub1 still (and using wireless) the least they could do is upgrade to a superhub2 so you can use the 5ghz band easier (and better range).

Just complain that the wireless keeps dropping out and doesn't reach all parts of your house and that you can't use all your devices at the same time as some are 2ghz and some 5ghz. Then they have to upgrade your hub. Specify that the hub3 is buggy as hell so you would like a 2ac instead.

Just certain things that need to be said to trigger them Smiley Tongue

If you call up during business hours (9-5 weekdays) and ask to go through to cancellations, you should get through to the Swansea lot and they will do what they can to keep your custom.

0 Kudos