Menu
SeanGr61
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

200Mb broadband

Recently upgraded to the 200Mb broadband service and now wireless devices are running at 20Mb or less. Spent over an hour on the phone to technical support and they insist this is down to wireless interference.

Have read several posts from other customers with the same problem and they seem to have been given the same nonsense. Some of them insisted on being put back on the 100Mb or 152Mb broadband and their wireless devices instantly started running at speeds of 80Mb or more.

If this is true, it seems that switching off the 200Mb service instantly removes wireless interference!

Anyone else experienced the same problem?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: 200Mb broadband

Hey there SeanGr61,

Thanks for posting and a big welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear about the connection problems you're experiencing. I've just had a look at your connection and I can see that we're carrying out some maintenance work in your area right now, but this should be finished at around 5 PM this afternoon.

Would you post back and let us know if you notice any improvements after today please.

Thanks for your patience,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
SeanGr61
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I was so fed up with the 200Mb service that I asked to be downgraded back to the 150Mb service as some people were posting that this solved the problem. However I am still getting download speeds of 20-25Mb which is ridiculous.

Several people in my area have now cancelled their Virgin broadband and moved over to Sky or Vodafone. Seriously considering doing the same.

Oh and no the work you have done in my area today hasn't made a difference.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello SeanGr61,

Thanks for getting back to me Smiley Happy

I do apologise for the on-going connection problems you're experiencing, I know it's frustrating.

I've just had another look and I've noticed another area fault. The ref is: F004361305 and it's due for review on the 21st Dec. I know this isn't the news you were hoping for, please accept my apologies and let me know if you have any further questions.

Speak soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
SeanGr61
Joining in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello Heather_J,

This is pretty poor service to be honest.

I assume Virgin Media will be offering some kind of refund? After all I have been paying a premium for a service I have not received for several months now!

Look forward to hearing back on this.

SeanGr61

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

F004361305 is a peak time traffic fault, the infrastructure can't cope with the amount of people using it.

These take a long time to be sorted, some have been going on for over 2 years. I wouldn't be surprised if this continued well in to 2017. 

0 Kudos
mykolenas
Tuning in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Over-subscription is not an easy problem to fix so it's not surprising. In a lot of cases VM can just lease another fiber line from Openreach who provides most of their fiber network (yay for less populated areas), but where there are none to be leased VM has to wait for their vendor to upgrade the infrastructure and I'm sure Openreach is not in a hurry. Broadband industry is a prime example of sales first and product last approach and we keep taking hits for it.

0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

VM have their own infrastructure, which has nothing to do with BT or any other company.

F003443743. December '14 - May '17.
0 Kudos
mykolenas
Tuning in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

ah fair enough, for some weird reason I was under impression VM was leasing some of it's fiber network from Openreach, not sure where I read that  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

virgin media is not part of openreach it never touches it

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos