Menu
RichC71
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

200MB broadband

Hi

Recently signed up to Virgin 200mb package following a roll out in our area. Whilst an improvement, still only getting speeds of around 40mb. Have a Hub 3.0 which I assume is compatible for faster speeds. Tried doing a reset and called the help line a couple of times  who have confirmed that there are no issues and have changed channels for me but with no real improvement. Any ideas re what else I can try?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: 200MB broadband

are you testing wired or wireless - always test wired 

log into superhub - 192.168.0.1 - DON'T SIGN IN, click router status - and post the downstream and upstream figures

Tony
RichC71
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response Tony. Unfortunately struggling to test wired as using iPad and don't have an ethernet cable for my laptop. Checked the downstream and upstream figures as suggested which are 23000000 and 12700000. 

0 Kudos
kevinV
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You will be lucky if you see any speeds above 100Mb.  I have attained that only twice in 2 years.  I had the 150Mb and that was stable.  Virgin appear to be using the divide by 10 sales pitch Vivid 200 gets you on average 20Mb download.  They sent an engineer who uprated my power levels at the cabinet (about 4db is right) and replaced my router, fat lot of good that did, absolutely no improvement.

You will now have to join the long line of fob offs and lies about problems in your area.  Virgin will not admit they cannot provide the speeds they advertise, the avaerage in my area is 40Mb for virgin users.

Dont hold your breath for a resolution. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Whicj iPad are you using?

40Mbps is a typical speed for an iPad on the 2.4Ghz band.

You could give the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks gifferent names in the Hub's GUI and try the 5Ghz band. If you haven't got the iPad Air don't expect speeds of more than 75Mbps on the 5Ghz band.

As Tony has said, the only way to test the true speed of your connection is to use a wired connection, using a device equipped with a gigabit ethernet card.

RichC71
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Didn't realise that about I-pads - now makes sense as we have an earlier version of I-pad. Also using the 2.4Ghz as the 5.0Ghz isn't compatible with our Sonos system. Just done a speed test from my I-phone and reached a giddy 98Mb which I think proves your point. Thanks for your help in the matter.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No problem.

The hub 3 can broadcast 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz signals simultaneously, but VM choose to give both networks the same SSID so devices will connect automatically to the strongest signal. So, giving both networks different names you can explicitly connect to one or the other on preference.So you can connect to the 5Ghz to try and get a faster wifi speed.

More info on iPad speeds here

0 Kudos