Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11 (387 Views)

computer security

Hello Everyone

I have just received an email from McAfee for a renewal fee of £ 89.99 , I only have one computer, no mobile phones or any of the extras which are available which did not exist when I started using a computer, back then NTL used to have their own security if I remember rightly , does Virgin Media do the same thing and do I really need to pay £99.00 for security now .

Thank You All in advance for your replies.            desmo11225 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 2 of 11 (378 Views)

Re: computer security

Why don't you start here?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-anti-virus-software

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 3 of 11 (373 Views)

its £25 pair year with virgin media security

i will not touch free anti virus software what HowardML said

Using VIVID 200 Gamer Optical Fibre, Full House TV, Talk More Anytime

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 11 (356 Views)

desmo11225 wrote:

Hello Everyone

I have just received an email from McAfee for a renewal fee of £ 89.99 , I only have one computer, no mobile phones or any of the extras which are available which did not exist when I started using a computer, back then NTL used to have their own security if I remember rightly , does Virgin Media do the same thing and do I really need to pay £99.00 for security now .

Thank You All in advance for your replies.            desmo11225 

Virgin Media promote F-Secure's SAFE from the My Virgin Media web page; be aware this is a yearly subscription service with the initial year free.

0 Kudos
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 11 (346 Views)

You can get inexpensive Internet security from http://ebay.eu/2m5yDIW

I have used same for many years

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 11 (326 Views)

[ Edited ]

DavidJWalker wrote:
its £25 pair year with virgin media security

i will not touch free anti virus software what HowardML said

I've used avast for literally years at this point, sadly even paying for a product won't cover you against everything, there is literally only 1 way to stop all known attacks on your PC, and thats not to have it connected to the internet, outside of that you could pay hundreds for a "professional package" and still get infected, the weak link is the user not the software sadly, rather than just say you won't use free tools why not explain the why, because not all tools are created equal and just because norton broke your PC (its a joke against norton, no idea if you've used it, it did used to be super bloatware) it doesn't mean all tools will Smiley Tongue

One of the best and most recommended tools (Malwarebytes) is and always has had a free version, people in the tech industry use it because it works Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 7 of 11 (321 Views)

i use 2 software to protect and speed up my pc thats F-Secure's SAFE and Advanced System care Pro both of them scan for virus and one spyware and it stays good as you get the pc and never get a virus

0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 8 of 11 (320 Views)

i used to use norton , mcafee both of them slow down your pc

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 11 (307 Views)

DavidJWalker wrote:
i use 2 software to protect and speed up my pc thats F-Secure's SAFE and Advanced System care Pro both of them scan for virus and one spyware and it stays good as you get the pc and never get a virus

Never say never, no software is invulnerable, you need to combine software with internet best practices, even though i have avast its never detected a virus as i am careful what i download, and yes, norton is terrible, always was, always will be, the running joke with norton is that you never got a virus because norton would hog all your system resources so the virus couldn't even run Smiley Tongue

Never rely entirely on software for protection, as i've said, even the most expensive tools aren't guaranteed to protect you

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 10 of 11 (305 Views)

Best A/V on the market is between Kaspersky and Eset.

Free Avast is not a bad alternative and you can combine it with say Malwarebytes for very good online protection.

I do have to laugh as clearly none of you have used Nortons as of late. It's had some good reviews and the system hog it used to be in the past is no more.

F secure, Sorry, i don't rate this A/V as the heuristics are way to behind the others.

And as stated, no PC is safe. NONE. If someone wants past your A/V protection, then they can easily do it with a UD Packer And change the headers and stubs of the .exe file so no anti virus will detect it.

0 Kudos