Menu
jock1e
Dialled in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

can someone check my Router connections for me.

Had problems installing a new laptop so ran my Eset Smart Security then got it to scan my router and it came up with a few problems. it said vulnerabilities found the same as on this post. https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/Potential-Vulnerability-EDB-31617-Bad-access-rig... So went into router and maybe set some things to default that I should not have. Since then laptop has had a few problems updating security programs with cannot connect to server etc. Eset has made using browsers almost impossible. If I remove Eset things get back to normal. So just wondering if it is a router problem that can be fixed. Being getting quite a few DNS problems which makes me think router. be glad of any type of help especially with the router. Regards jock1e
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: can someone check my Router connections for me.

jock1e wrote:
Should have said I found out this is the DNS From Norton that Eset uses.So what I thought was suspect was in fact Ok. 199.85.126.20,fec0:0:0:ffff::1, 199.85.126.20,fec0:0:0:ffff::2, 199.85.126.20,fec0:0:0:ffff::3, I have had a lot of problems setting up a new laptop some were showing as DNS problems. So thought that I would go into the router to check things out. I never changed anything except click on default on a couple of them. Since then My PC has been a bit slower opening web pages.. So at the moment no longer worried about the DNS. I know Virgin will have the router set the way they want it. And was wondering if changing some things to default may have changed there settings.

As far as I know it is not possible to change the DNS servers on a VM provided router.

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=3808&CURRENT_C...

Please note that the Super Hub’s administration interface does not provide an option to change your DNS settings. To change these settings, you will need to configure the software that controls the network adapter in your computer or laptop.

You will have to change the DNS settings on individual devices if you wish to use alternative DNS services.

Sorry, I should also have noted that you mentioned Norton and Eset in the same sentence.

Both provide AV services and if you are running them at the same time they may conflict with each other. You should only use one AV solution at a time on each device.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos

All Replies
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Presuming your  "router" is the VM Hub?

If so, a pin hole reset will set everything back to factory state, which should help.

jock1e
Dialled in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes thanks for that. I knew that you could do that but will that change the DNS settings as well as I believe I maybe getting problems with that. Just worried about maybe having changed some other settings as web pages just taking a bit longer to open. Over a week I have been trying to set up a new laptop and seem to be getting lots of problems and when Eset picked up a problem with the router I assumed that was the culprit. I have downloaded Emsisoft and that will not update trouble with the server it says.Obviously I can use the internet so probably not a virgin problem. I will get on to Emsisoft next. Can the router be hacked. I did see a bit where users of Facebook could have there routers hacked so maybe I should not believe all that I read. If you think a router reset will do the trick I will do that but a 2nd opinion from Virgin would be great. That way I would know to look elsewhere for my problems.
0 Kudos
jock1e
Dialled in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I found this on the DNS connections in Eset. Whether it was one that was in use or one that has been rejected I dont know. it comes from China and they are having problems with it over there. DNS Server 199.85.126.20,fec0:0:0:ffff::1, 199.85.126.20,fec0:0:0:ffff::2, 199.85.126.20,fec0:0:0:ffff::3, Now that is on Eset and wondered if eset could have got it from here. That's why I am a bit Paranoid about DNS problems. So far I have had to reset my new laptop twice and maybe the 3rd time is just round the corner. So any further advice welcome.
0 Kudos
jock1e
Dialled in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If I phone them would someone be able to have a look.

Or would resetting the Superhub have fixed any problems with it.

regards
jock1e
0 Kudos
jock1e
Dialled in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As no more replies I can only assume that setting the router back to default is the correct answer. So will class as resolved.
Regards
jock!e
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Still confused. If you are using the VM Hub, your DNS should be set to Automatic, i.e. pick up the IP address and DNS from the Hub. In which case the DNS servers should be VM's. You can manually set the DNS to manual on your laptop if you wish, e.g. Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

I've no idea where you are getting those other DNS server settings from though. 

0 Kudos
jock1e
Dialled in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Should have said I found out this is the DNS From Norton that Eset uses.So what I thought was suspect was in fact Ok. 199.85.126.20,fec0:0:0:ffff::1, 199.85.126.20,fec0:0:0:ffff::2, 199.85.126.20,fec0:0:0:ffff::3, I have had a lot of problems setting up a new laptop some were showing as DNS problems. So thought that I would go into the router to check things out. I never changed anything except click on default on a couple of them. Since then My PC has been a bit slower opening web pages.. So at the moment no longer worried about the DNS. I know Virgin will have the router set the way they want it. And was wondering if changing some things to default may have changed there settings.
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

jock1e wrote:

As far as I know it is not possible to change the DNS servers on a VM provided router.

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=3808&CURRENT_C...

Please note that the Super Hub’s administration interface does not provide an option to change your DNS settings. To change these settings, you will need to configure the software that controls the network adapter in your computer or laptop.

You will have to change the DNS settings on individual devices if you wish to use alternative DNS services.

Sorry, I should also have noted that you mentioned Norton and Eset in the same sentence.

Both provide AV services and if you are running them at the same time they may conflict with each other. You should only use one AV solution at a time on each device.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
jock1e
Dialled in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ok. Maybe never made myself clear it is Eset that uses Norton DNS and not me nor do I use Norton. It looked suspect but it was not. I am aware that you cannot change Virginmedia Dns on the router but can on the computer. Since I deleted Eset things have been running normal again. I was not sure if setting some things to default in the router may have made a difference or not. I have been told no it will not make a difference and basically that is all I wanted to know. So many thanks for all of the advice given. Regards jock1e
0 Kudos