Menu
JJ-midlands
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Marketing Calls?

Hello,

I keep getting numbers from 0800 183 6403 and 0800 408 9340, both claim to be from Virgin however I would like someone to confirm this.

The number 0800 183 6403 in particular is listed as a scam number on several websites so if a member of the admin team could confirm both these numbers are from Virgin Media that would be reassuring.

Also I received a text message with a number I could text to stop these marketing calls. I deleted the text so could you tell me where to send 'NO' to?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Marketing Calls?

JJ-midlands wrote:

Hello,

I keep getting numbers from 0800 183 6403 and 0800 408 9340, both claim to be from Virgin however I would like someone to confirm this.

The number 0800 183 6403 in particular is listed as a scam number on several websites so if a member of the admin team could confirm both these numbers are from Virgin Media that would be reassuring.

If you wish these calls (and any other forms of direct marketing) to cease send a Section 11 DPA Notice in writing to VM's Data Controller.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/29/section/11

11 Right to prevent processing for purposes of direct marketing.

(1)An individual is entitled at any time by notice in writing to a data controller to require the data controller at the end of such period as is reasonable in the circumstances to cease, or not to begin, processing for the purposes of direct marketing personal data in respect of which he is the data subject.

(2)If the court is satisfied, on the application of any person who has given a notice under subsection (1), that the data controller has failed to comply with the notice, the court may order him to take such steps for complying with the notice as the court thinks fit.

[F1(2A)This section shall not apply in relation to the processing of such data as are mentioned in paragraph (1) of regulation 8 of the Telecommunications (Data Protection and Privacy) Regulations 1999 (processing of telecommunications billing data for certain marketing purposes) for the purposes mentioned in paragraph (2) of that regulation.]

(3)In this section “direct marketing” means the communication (by whatever means) of any advertising or marketing material which is directed to particular individuals.

Also I received a text message with a number I could text to stop these marketing calls. I deleted the text so could you tell me where to send 'NO' to?

Marketing texts should also cease under the above request, see Section 11 part 3.

See the ico. advice on Direct Marketing here: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/principle-6-rights/preventing-direct-m...

From the above link:

However, we expect that in normal circumstances electronic communications should stop within 28 days of receiving the notice, and postal communications should stop within two months.

Don't reply to any marketing texts, you will only confirm that your number is valid and in use.

Thank you

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Marketing Calls?

Those telephone numbers do look like Virgin Media numbers but the number presented to you can be easily faked (ie, a scammer could get any number to show when they call you), so don't rely on the telephone number shown to determine if it is genuine.

I would never give out any information on an unsolicited call regardless of who they say they are.  If you are actually expecting the call then that is different.

If you are at all unsure it is always best to hang up and call back on the regular contact number.  You would be best also contacting Virgin Media and advise them that you do not wish to receive marketing phone calls.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos