Menu
clairson59
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Spam email from "Virgin Media"

I received an email purporting to be from Virgin Media which I am pretty sure is phishing. It claims that there is a problem with billing for my account and said my account was "pending disconnection on 31st January 2017" and advised me to click on a link to update my profile. Needless to say, as I read this today 04 February 2017 and my service has not been cut off, I am sure it was an attempt to scam.

Has any other VM customer been caught out and where should we forward such emails to get them investigated?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Spam email from "Virgin Media"

clairson59 wrote:

I received an email purporting to be from Virgin Media which I am pretty sure is phishing. (1) It claims that there is a problem with billing for my account and said my account was "pending disconnection on 31st January 2017" and advised me to click on a link to update my profile. Needless to say, as I read this today 04 February 2017 and my service has not been cut off, I am sure it was an attempt to scam.

(2) Has any other VM customer been caught out and where should we forward such emails to get them investigated?

(1) Logging in directly into your own VM account through My VM will quickly determine whether your account has a problem or not.

Never, under any circumstances whatsoever, respond to an unsolicited email purporting to be form a service provider, and never ever click on links provided in such a communication.

(2) http://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/index.php

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

All Replies
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

clairson59 wrote:

I received an email purporting to be from Virgin Media which I am pretty sure is phishing. (1) It claims that there is a problem with billing for my account and said my account was "pending disconnection on 31st January 2017" and advised me to click on a link to update my profile. Needless to say, as I read this today 04 February 2017 and my service has not been cut off, I am sure it was an attempt to scam.

(2) Has any other VM customer been caught out and where should we forward such emails to get them investigated?

(1) Logging in directly into your own VM account through My VM will quickly determine whether your account has a problem or not.

Never, under any circumstances whatsoever, respond to an unsolicited email purporting to be form a service provider, and never ever click on links provided in such a communication.

(2) http://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/index.php

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
clairson59
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Luckily I have the sense to spot a scam and hovering over the sender's email address revealed it to be fake... and no, I'd never click on a link in such emails. Sadly many do and suffer the consequences.
0 Kudos