Menu
Dialled in
Message 1 of 6 (186 Views)

Net providers to begin sending 'spam' emails

"UK ISPs are to start sending "educational letters" to customers identified as downloading copyright material without paying for it" - essentially I regard this as spam.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38583357

I highly doubt this will be effective at all. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 2 of 6 (178 Views)

Re: Net providers to begin sending 'spam' emails

Probably isn't supposed to be effective, maybe it was the only way they could get it through the door, so to speak. Getting such things passed is the hard part, expanding upon them into much more nefarious realms is easy once it is passed. Once it is in, expanding upon it a bit further down the road into USA RIAA type lawsuit letters and changes for £100,000+ per mp3 shared or whatever wouldn't be an impossible leap. 

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 6 (168 Views)

The pirate radio ships saga all over again?   It's the internet and it's uncontrollable.   Pure sabre rattling which will result in no change.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 6 (149 Views)

[ Edited ]

More stuff to clog up the already clogged up innernets.Smiley Sad

Don't the powers that be realise we're in the age of infinite copies?  Someone posts a picture on the internet but it is their copyright.  Even if they sign the rights over to someone else, they can't charge for it otherwise the internet wouldn't work. Nor can they stop Copy> Paste>Save as: Smiley Indifferent

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure.
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans.
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant.
I only invent the bomb - I don't drop it. Bryce Lynch.
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 6 (73 Views)

I received one of these emails yesterday supposed from virgin them selves but the address it is from is virgin media.co.uk not .com . Am I right to think it is a scam 9ne and not to click the link in it ?
0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 6 (65 Views)

DVfv107 wrote:
I received one of these emails yesterday supposed from virgin them selves but the address it is from is virgin media.co.uk not .com . Am I right to think it is a scam 9ne and not to click the link in it ?

I would ignore it anyway, its not a warning and there are no punishments involved just delete and move on lol