Menu
deividuska
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Mirai malware

Hi i received few letters and emails what one off my devices infected with mirai malware. Any knows how to get rid of it? Because in emails virgin media recommend to restart router and should be ok, but i still receiving letters what one of my devices are infected.
Thank you
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mirai malware

Reset your device

Resetting routers and IoT devices infected by Mirai is enough to remove the infection. It’s a good first step. But this doesn’t fix the underlying problem, so you’ll remain vulnerable to future infections unless you take additional actions. And because Mirai spreads aggressively, you may only have a matter of minutes until you’re infected again.

Change default passwords (if possible)

Most people don’t change default passwords on their routers or IoT devices. This is a HUGE problem, since many of these devices use common passwords for the same model or line of products. And to make things worse, lists of default passwords are often available online.

Many attackers know people don’t change passwords on their devices, and use that to help them plan attacks. Mirai is programmed to try logging in using popular passwords like “123456” and “password”, as well as passwords that have proven effective against specific devices (such as “admin” and “xc3511”). So change default passwords whenever possible.

Source: What’s a Mirai Botnet Doing With My Router?

cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

What devices do you have that are internet capable.

mirai , IF you have it , may not be on a computer, It is more likely to be some other device where you never changed the default password, , like security camera, baby monitor....

0 Kudos
papagray
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

apologies, the letter that arrives is a good indicator, is it not possible to supply the ip address of the item, we have as my wife is a teacher two ipads, 3 computers, 3 smart TV's , 2 nvrs , 6 ip cameras, 2 smartphones, ip alarm system,internal ip attachments sound unit,blueray players,virgin boxes do you get the picture and I am in a wheelchair most of these setup by experts, my mobility is zilch so unplugging everything is impossible if you can detect the malaware you should be able to indicate the ip address I also have kerspasky full internet protection on nearly every device which scans frequently so please virgin perhaps an ip as a guide???

0 Kudos
deividuska
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

In my case was satellite receiver infected.Another thing was about 20 thousand tcp connections from my satellite receivers ip Smiley Very Happy. This is how i found.
0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

papagray wrote:

apologies, the letter that arrives is a good indicator, is it not possible to supply the ip address of the item, we have as my wife is a teacher two ipads, 3 computers, 3 smart TV's , 2 nvrs , 6 ip cameras, 2 smartphones, ip alarm system,internal ip attachments sound unit,blueray players,virgin boxes do you get the picture and I am in a wheelchair most of these setup by experts, my mobility is zilch so unplugging everything is impossible if you can detect the malaware you should be able to indicate the ip address I also have kerspasky full internet protection on nearly every device which scans frequently so please virgin perhaps an ip as a guide???

Its not possible, all VM can see is the external IP of the router, they have no way of knowing which device on the network is infected because they all have a private IP address within the network, sadly all they can tell you is that "something" is infected not what they something is

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You may wish to try the tools mentioned in this article, New Free Mirai Scanner Tools Spot Infected, Vulnerable IoT Devices , to identify which devices are infected or vulnerable.

0 Kudos