Menu
donhay
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Internet Problem Scam 01419498004

Been getting bombarded with call from 01419498004 sometimes a dozen times a day.

When answered it is usually silence but today I managed to get someone to speak to.

So he is calling from Virgin Media and I have a problem with my internet and if I go to my PC he will help me fix it.

We spent several minutes with him trying to explain where my Windows key was. I eventually explained I really couldn't find it on my Mac computer. That seemed to throw him. Ha ha

I asked what he thought was wrong with my computer but he said it wasn't my PC but the internet was at fault. 

"Ok so if you're calling from Virgin and its an internet fault and not my PC why don't you just fix it?"

That threw he even further and ended the conversation.

I'm just trying to make people aware of this scam but also want to know why the Telephone Preference Service never catches these calls.

How can I stop/block these calls somehow?

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet Problem Scam 01419498004

Quite probably the call originated from abroad so the TPS don't trap it.  The scammers just spoof 'called from' numbers.

We use a digital answerphone to weed out unwanted callers ... it doesn't stop the phone from ringing but it does give us the choice to ignore unwanted callers.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet Problem Scam 01419498004

donhay wrote:

Been getting bombarded with call from 01419498004 sometimes a dozen times a day.

When answered it is usually silence but today I managed to get someone to speak to.

So he is calling from Virgin Media and I have a problem with my internet and if I go to my PC he will help me fix it.

We spent several minutes with him trying to explain where my Windows key was. I eventually explained I really couldn't find it on my Mac computer. That seemed to throw him. Ha ha

I asked what he thought was wrong with my computer but he said it wasn't my PC but the internet was at fault. 

"Ok so if you're calling from Virgin and its an internet fault and not my PC why don't you just fix it?"

That threw he even further and ended the conversation.

I'm just trying to make people aware of this scam but also want to know why the Telephone Preference Service never catches these calls.

How can I stop/block these calls somehow?

Exactly as stated above, the numbers spoofed. Ive had them from the same number. They get quite annoyed when you play along for a while and then tell them exactly what you think of people who spend their days preying on the vulnerable. Even though the accent is from the Indian sub-continent they certainly seem to speak fluent swear.....

0 Kudos