Menu
john55501277
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Will I Ever Be Able To Get Cable?

I live in Manchester, in a block of 20 flats. The houses across the streets can get cable, and have been able to get it for years. I've lived here for 8 months, and I'm just wondering if it will ever be possible to get cable. Please can someone PM me and I can give you the address and postcode to check, but I don't think it will be much use anyway. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Will I Ever Be Able To Get Cable?

Have you tried an online postcode checker? eg https://www.cable.co.uk/guides/can-i-get-virgin-media/ if so what response did you receive?

0 Kudos
john55501277
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Buffer6 wrote:

Have you tried an online postcode checker? eg https://www.cable.co.uk/guides/can-i-get-virgin-media/ if so what response did you receive?

Yes, it says I can get cable, but obviously I can't. It only says that because it asks for my postcode, not my address. As I said, the houses across the street can get it, but I can't. Also, on Virgin Media's site, it says I can't get it, after I pick my address.

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

How many floor levels are there in your block of flats?

All the flats in my area can get cable, but they aren't any higher than the surrounding houses, they're just two levels high 

0 Kudos
john55501277
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Buffer6 wrote:

How many floor levels are there in your block of flats?

All the flats in my area can get cable, but they aren't any higher than the surrounding houses, they're just two levels high 

About 3 or 4 floors I think. I'm on the ground floor.

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That's a case to argue, Virgin wont do hi-rise blocks, but what about those who are at ground floor level, there should be some accommodation for them.

0 Kudos
john55501277
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Buffer6 wrote:

That's a case to argue, Virgin wont do hi-rise blocks, but what about those who are at ground floor level, there should be some accommodation for them.

I thought though with flats that there has to be a communal system in place, then each flat gets connected to cable via the communal system? I've tried ringing Virgin Media months ago, but they just said that I can't get it, and don't know when I'll be able to.

0 Kudos
john55501277
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can anyone else please help with this?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Likely the block would require internal wiring which would have taken place at build if it was already there.. A lot of councils now object to & will not give permission for visible external wiring on multi-storey residences. Retrofit internal wiring is hugely expensive & disruptive, & most landlords won't consider it. 

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi there john55501277,

Thanks for your query!

I'd like to look into this for you. Smiley Happy

Could you drop me a private mail if possible with the following information?:

• Name
  • Home address