Menu
smallfish
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Why was I lied to?

It's a simple question but no one in the indian call center could give me a straight answer so I'm asking here.

I knew the houses on my street had no cable connection, the piping was installed for cable when the buildings were built  but no coax was laid.

6 months ago I was  in the carpark and spotted a virgin engineer. We chatted about the lack of fiber and walked around the houses, lifted up the access covers and checked. Sure enough no cables.

He confirmed he was checking on behalf of another resident  who'd made inquiries and said if enough people signed up virgin would lay the cable.

I still had 6 months to run on my current provider a very crappy 4mb phone line connection, but would happily sign up when it ran out.

So the contract runs out and I phone up virgin and inquire about weather the cable had been laid. Yes comes the reply from your salesperson, but I'm cautious and explain exactly what I've just type here.

I'm told there isn't a any problem, all is ok. So I say let's do this. A date is set for an engineer to come round and I happily await my installation.  

One day before the installation date and a couple of virgin engineers knock on my door to check they have the right address, I tell them yes but I wasn't expecting them until tomorrow they say that it's ok they're just here to check everything is ok for the installation chap tomorrow.  So I bid them goodbye and go about my day thinking all is fine, but 5 o'clock comes and I get an automated call telling me there is a problem. Not the engineers who could have said something just a computer.

After a very long 40 minutes listening to the worst quality on hold music I have ever heard in my life! I'm told the there is no cable to the property and that virgin will have to lay the cable.

This I'm told could take 6 to 8 weeks to organise!

So someone screwed up. I'm very annoyed that I was lied to and that I'm now facing a couple of months without a phone line or an internet connection, but what I want to know is why you failed so monumentally don't you talk to each other? Or is it virgin policy to lie to people in order to get them to sign up to contracts?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why was I lied to?

Hey smallfish.

Many thanks for joining us on the community and for letting us know about the lead up to the projected connection.

I am so sorry that this could not take place as expected Smiley Sad

In order for us to take a look into this for you if you could send a private message to me with your name and full address, I can then check in with the installation teams for you and will get back to you as soon as I can with their updates.

To PM me, simply:

• Click on my forum name on the left of this post.
  • Go to my profile.
  • On the right had side, select the 'send me a message' option.

Once you've popped those details to me I'll be back in touch to confirm what’s happening for you.

Take care.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

shanematthews
Super solver
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

smallfish wrote:

It's a simple question but no one in the indian call center could give me a straight answer so I'm asking here.

I knew the houses on my street had no cable connection, the piping was installed for cable when the buildings were built  but no coax was laid.

6 months ago I was  in the carpark and spotted a virgin engineer. We chatted about the lack of fiber and walked around the houses, lifted up the access covers and checked. Sure enough no cables.

He confirmed he was checking on behalf of another resident  who'd made inquiries and said if enough people signed up virgin would lay the cable.

I still had 6 months to run on my current provider a very crappy 4mb phone line connection, but would happily sign up when it ran out.

So the contract runs out and I phone up virgin and inquire about weather the cable had been laid. Yes comes the reply from your salesperson, but I'm cautious and explain exactly what I've just type here.

I'm told there isn't a any problem, all is ok. So I say let's do this. A date is set for an engineer to come round and I happily await my installation.  

One day before the installation date and a couple of virgin engineers knock on my door to check they have the right address, I tell them yes but I wasn't expecting them until tomorrow they say that it's ok they're just here to check everything is ok for the installation chap tomorrow.  So I bid them goodbye and go about my day thinking all is fine, but 5 o'clock comes and I get an automated call telling me there is a problem. Not the engineers who could have said something just a computer.

After a very long 40 minutes listening to the worst quality on hold music I have ever heard in my life! I'm told the there is no cable to the property and that virgin will have to lay the cable.

This I'm told could take 6 to 8 weeks to organise!

So someone screwed up. I'm very annoyed that I was lied to and that I'm now facing a couple of months without a phone line or an internet connection, but what I want to know is why you failed so monumentally don't you talk to each other? Or is it virgin policy to lie to people in order to get them to sign up to contracts?

I suspect the issue is that you've encountered the "Sales Quota" issue, companies push their sales people to sign up x people in x period and, having worked in sales on legally required motor insurance, its still common place to see sales advisers fudging details in order to meet targets, its a practice that needs to die but all the while companies enforce sales targets it is going to happen, there won't be a lot VM can do in regards to installing it any faster as it does genuinely take time to get engineers out there when they also have to handle other important jobs like faults and repairs, its not the answer you want but its sadly likely the real one Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hey smallfish

Thanks for your PM to me!

I've checked and can see that services have not activated so no charges apply to this for you until this occurs. This will not happen unless the construction is completed so you will not be billed until after the construction has completed and then the installation takes place. At that point the billing starts from that day.

Our bills don't produce on the day you are installed but usually around 3-4 weeks after customers are installed.

Now, regarding the services. The notes show construction needs to take place and the construction team have applied for this works from the 13th. Processing the requests and permits as well as waiting the pre required time for notification means this will take between 6-8 weeks form the 13th March for the work to be booked and completed. As soon as this is done the installation can then be rebooked for you.

We can either check back in with you on your behalf if you pop back to us on this thread closer to that time and just let us know or alternatively you can keep up to date with this with our Construction teams by contacting them directly via 0345 045 0595. Their opening hours are Mon-Sat 8:30am-7pm.

Let us know what you need and we’ll be happy to support Smiley Happy

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

smallfish
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I just want to let you know the reason I checked with the salesperson that the cables had been laid and everything was ready to go on the given date.

You see my partner is disabled and for the most part bed bound.  So a phone line TV and internet connection is very important to her.  

I wanted to be certain that when we canceled our previous provider there would be no break in service.  

But because of either lies of total incompetence she is facing two months of isolation.  You may not think this is a big deal but believe me it is!

It would have been fine if I'd been told the truth from the start, I could have correctly timed the cancelation of our previous provider. But no it seems Virgin does not care how it's customers are treated, I guess you only find out how good or how bad a company is when things go wrong.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi smallfish

I completely appreciate that this has had an impact to you both and understand that this situation is not ideal for you. We're in the position now though where we cannot connect the services until the works are completed and the permits etc have to be approved with the local authorities and any other companies who may have their infrastructure alongside our cabling underground.

This is why the 6-8 weeks comes in to play.

We are happy to support you on the forums with follow up communications about the status of the work should you want us to help in this way, or alternatively you can contact the teams about this on the number supplied above.

Please keep in touch if you need us to help out further.

Kind regards.

Karen_A
Forum Team

smallfish
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I still want to know why I was told the cabling was there when it wasn't.

I watched the engineer check it. So at some level Virgin knew, yet this still happened and if it happened once it will continue to happen to other people.

If you as a company really care about your customers and your reputation then please address the issue and give me an honest answer.

0 Kudos