Menu
briggsy
Joining in
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

VPN Problems with New Superhub

I have recently had the superhub installed in my house & the VPN connection to my office has stopped working. The office has had everything tested & that end is working fine. I had one of our IT guys have a look & he's said

Problem is your router IP range.
Needs to have the dhcp side changed away from xxx.xxx.x.x to xxx.xxx.xx.x

I have no idea what this means, is anyone able to help me with this?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: VPN Problems with New Superhub

Put the hub in modem mode first.
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE...

If your not able to connect in this mode tell your IT guy not to white-list WAN IP's for the VPN.
0 Kudos

All Replies
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Put the hub in modem mode first.
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE...

If your not able to connect in this mode tell your IT guy not to white-list WAN IP's for the VPN.
0 Kudos
briggsy
Joining in
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

cheers for that mate. i don't know much about any of this, how will that affect my everyday use of the hub. eg internet connections, PS3 & Xbox360 online gameplay etc...

0 Kudos
Razer
Dialled in
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

briggsy wrote:

how will that affect my everyday use of the hub. eg internet connections, PS3 & Xbox360 online gameplay etc...

modem mode will effectively disable the wifi and turn the SHub into a normal modem, therefore you would need a seperate router to connect to the xbox/ps3,

also go into the superhub configuration page http://192.168.0.1 and navigate to Advanced settings>Security>Firewall.

Makesure Ipsec pass-through,pptp pass-through and multicast pass-through are enabled.

legacy1
Hero
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

briggsy wrote:

cheers for that mate. i don't know much about any of this, how will that affect my everyday use of the hub. eg internet connections, PS3 & Xbox360 online gameplay etc...

That will be your problem to have many devices as VM only truthfully supports one device because you only get one WAN IP and even then they don't support things like VPN's you just have to hope all protocols work. VM router mod for many devices on one WAN IP isn’t that good so you might get VPN to work or not.      

3rd party routers are a round or you can use ICS in windows.   

0 Kudos
briggsy
Joining in
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

i don't have them all connected at the same time.

I have to say, other than the massive increase in speed from this new superhub, i'm less than impressed. I got this VPN set up as it was easier to work from home, now it's just made things all the more difficult.
0 Kudos
amarkr2000
Dialled in
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

To address the request from your work IT people, go to the advanced settings on your superhub, then DCHP settings and change the IP address so it matches what is being asked for

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I'll try and explain the VPN problem for you.

This is why i have my home network on 192.168.60.1/22 as its not used my many others

Anyway
your home network uses 192.168.1.1-255
and if your work network uses the same when you try and access a ip on your VPN/Work network it will see it as a local ip to you and look for that server on your network. Its not there and fails.

If you use another ip range at home when you try and access the work network your computer will see its not a local ip and look for a gateway it can use (the gateway will be the VPN connection) so the request is then sent to your work network over the VPN.

If that is the same changing your DHCP is not the only thing. you will lose your internet and network access if you attempt it.

You will need to update the SH ip address as well

for example change the sh to 192.168.10.1 and then your DHCP to 192.168.10.2-200

0 Kudos
briggsy
Joining in
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax.

thanks for this answer mate. i'll have a look at it later, but more likely i'll have my IT guy check out this thread.

0 Kudos
briggsy
Joining in
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

@amarkr2000. thanks mate.
0 Kudos