Menu
Cyker
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

VMNG300 DOCSIS3 support?

Hey, I just noticed something when playing around with my now obsoleted VMNG300 cable modem and noticed it claims it supports DOCSIS3.0 on its status page!

Is that just a load of cobblers? It's hard to believe VM would spend all this money on Hub3's when a firmware update could have done the job, but it says it right there!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: VMNG300 DOCSIS3 support?

its not just docsis 3.0 its also the number of channels the tuners can support.

the VMNG300 i think only supported 4 downstream not sure the upstream. the new sh3 support 16 down
0 Kudos
Cyker
Dialled in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, looks like 4 up, 4 down if the status page is to be believed.

It was really straining before I downgraded back to 50 (Trying to do with 4 down channels what would normally be done with 8!!)

The Hub3 looks like it can go higher tho; It currently reports 2 channels up and 20 channels down (!!) which seems a bit overkill for a 50 MBit connection!! Although it does seem to have improved the connection stability (Previously my remote relay was power-cycling the thing at least once a week!)

Still, 4 channels is more than enough for 50 MBit so I'm surprised VM didn't just go with a firmware upgrade to put the modems in DOCSIS3 mode, since everyone on slower connections wouldn't need more anyway.

I'm wondering if there is also some other reason, like... maaaybeee a rollout of IPv6...? Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Cyker wrote:

It was really straining before I downgraded back to 50 (Trying to do with 4 down channels what would normally be done with 8!!)

The Hub3 looks like it can go higher tho; It currently reports 2 channels up and 20 channels down (!!) which seems a bit overkill for a 50 MBit connection!! Although it does seem to have improved the connection stability (Previously my remote relay was power-cycling the thing at least once a week!)

Still, 4 channels is more than enough for 50 MBit so I'm surprised VM didn't just go with a firmware upgrade to put the modems in DOCSIS3 mode, since everyone on slower connections wouldn't need more anyway.

I'm wondering if there is also some other reason, like... maaaybeee a rollout of IPv6...? Smiley Wink

Could be.  Same Arris box in Ireland is deployed as IPV6. It also gives the option of gigabit speeds with DOCSIS 3.1

0 Kudos
Martin_D
Well-informed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Cyker wrote:

I'm surprised VM didn't just go with a firmware upgrade to put the modems in DOCSIS3 mode, since everyone on slower connections wouldn't need more anyway.

The cast alcon 

The cost alone to make a new firmware version for a drive that has a very small customer base now. And a lot of changes are happening at the network level like VOIP/IPv6/DOCSIS 3.1 Its just its time to go.

Welcome to the most friendliest community.

Have you got technical problem post it and we will help you fix it.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Not sure how a firmware upgrade would turn a 32Mhz tuner into a 196Mhz tuner, but you never know.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Cyker wrote:

It is in DOCSIS 3 mode and always has been for 50Mbit and above. D3 was the first version of DOCSIS that could do multiple channels. But as discussed it can't do more than four downstream channels, so isn't flexible enough for the way Virgin Media now want to run the network or the speeds now available.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Cyker wrote:

The Hub 3 can do 24 channels down.

Channel sets are broadcast to everybody in an area, just like radio. Just like radio, you can't make a unique channel set for each and every person listening. The radio's (modems in this case) have to tune to the channels being broadcast to everybody.

What @BenMcr said. The more channels they bond together, the easier it is to balance the network traffic. Rather than making blocks of 4 channels that might not be used fully, better for everybody to share 8, 12, 16 or 20 channels, depending on what's available from the CMTS.

Nothing to do with IPv6. The SH1, SH2, SH2ac and Hub 3 are all IPv6 capable.

0 Kudos