Menu
bartv
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Neighbour has Virgin Media but I can't

Hey,

I live in a flat in a semi-detached house in London. For some reason this is listed as not connected on Cable My Street. The weird thing is that the house next door is connected. I went to look at the front, our house has the same cable hole in front of the house except theirs has cables running to the house. It almost seems like something went wrong in the paperwork. The building I live in has 5 flats and the max speed on DSL is about 4Mbit (!!!) so there's a clear business case here for Virgin.

I tried the Cable My Street website on and off for about 9 months now. I tried calling the sales team but just get a blunt no.I talked to my landlord (freeholder) and he is ok with having the work done, he's willing to sign a wayleave to get it installed, I honestly don't see what's stopping this.

My question: What do I do next? Who do I contact?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Neighbour has Virgin Media but I can't

Are you ground or first floor? If you are you have a good chance.

If your flat is above first floor level you are stuck. Virgin do have a few "heights" teams, but the possibility of you getting a visit from one is as likely as you winning the lottery jackpot.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
bartv
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yep on the first floor! Fingers crossed

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Do you own the freehold, if not is there any chance the freeholder might have stopped things.

0 Kudos
bartv
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I suspect that's what happened a couple of years ago. My landlord, the current freeholder, has no issues getting anything installed
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi bartv, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are unable to have Virgin Media installed Smiley Sad 

I've seen this happen from time to time and it could be for a few different reasons. 

The building could be listed.

The owner could have refused wayleave. 

Planning permission was not authorised for that part of the street. 

Each brings along it's own solution. 

Registering with Cable My Street is the first thing to do however I can check with your local Area Manager to find out what the reason is and if there is anything we can do to get you installed. 

I have sent you a private message requesting some details. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos