Menu
MichelleH
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Losing Connection on and off for 2 weeks.

It's always in the afternoon starting around 1pm. As I had a week off I really got into my gaming but alas never got much done as the internet (TV was also pixelating bad) was going offline every 30mins to an hour and staying down for up to 20mins. I phoned the helpline on Thurs 9th and was told that an engineer would be out on the 14th.

From Thurs 9th to the 14th my internet has gone down 25 times and each time I have been off-line for anything from 10 to 30mins.

When the engineer came out all he did was to replace the Docsis cable and a new splitter, so the same day the disconnects were back. I phoned up yet again to tell the person what was happing. This time I was told that he could send a signal down the line to fix it and that I will never have a disconnect again, at that point I told him that won't work because it's been done before. Well later that day the internet went down so I just turned off the PC to watch some TV. Hard to watch the TV when it's just pixelating all over the place.

Yesterday at 1pm and then at 2:37pm the internet disconnects again. I ring the help line up. To start off the woman won't take it that I haven't got wire-less and keeps going on. For the 9th time "I'm not on wire-less, I'm wired" but she keep blaming my wire-less signal interfering with some other electrical item. After that all she says is to reboot the box and says that will fix it, like doing it this time will but the 10s of time I have done it before didn't.

Getting a little sick of having to ring up India with the terrible phone line and people that can't deviate from the script they are given and won't really lessen to you.

0 Kudos
MichelleH
Tuning in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Losing Connection on and off for 2 weeks.

My Broadband Ping - My Virgin
0 Kudos
MichelleH
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Was told by Sephiroth

Re: BQM graphs showing an increase in latency

This sort of thing has been reported before (rarely, from memory). If it's external noise, it takes a while to fix while the engineers try and trace it. The key to this one is pixellating TV; it means that the RF signal entering the house is compromised.

Presumably you've got no electrical noisy equipment coming online at that time.

Anyway, best thing is to start your own problem thread including both your contributions in this thread. (Copy/paste). That way you won't get lost in this topic. The VM bods take a week or so to get to a thread but they are usually worth the wait.
0 Kudos
MichelleH
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

"it takes a while to fix while the engineers try and trace it".

Oh I know. This has really been going on for years. Had one engineer out a few years back saying that he knew what it was "but Virgin are to cheep to put booster on the line", his words.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

This sort of thing has been reported before (rarely, from memory). If it's external noise, it takes a while to fix while the engineers try and trace it. The key to this one is pixellating TV; it means that the RF signal entering the house is compromised.

Presumably you've got no electrical noisy equipment coming online at that time.

Anyway, best thing is to start your own problem thread including both your contributions in this thread. (Copy/paste). That way you won't get lost in this topic. The VM bods take a week or so to get to a thread but they are usually worth the wait.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
lyonc
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yeah just try and post the problem to the board and don't update it until a mod responds, every time you post another update to the thread it gets pushed back so it takes longer for the mods to actually see it. I'm not sure why it takes so long to respond, also I know it's frustrating because I've had similar problems for months. If you phone them again just ask to have an engineer come out and look and say there's a fault with your connection to whoever is on the phone. 

This looks like a peak time problem if it's only happening at a certain time consistently everyday, mainly the afternoon. Have you tried changing the Ethernet cable you use for a different one? If it's not a peak time problem then there is damage somewhere.

My cable running from my super hub to the wall has been damaged before also, is yours bent at all? Engineers have told me if you have that cable at an angle of 90 degrees (like running it under a carpet in the corner of the room) there's a good chance it will break it. A horseshoe bend is as far as you should bend it.

The only other thing I can think of is that there is a program on one of your devices that has an auto update scheduled between 12-7pm everyday, but for it do that must be malicious or not working properly.

0 Kudos
MichelleH
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Every time an engineer comes out they can't find a problem with the equipment but most time find a problem with the signal coming in.

The last time one came out (14th) thankfully it started playing up again. He had just arrived when my PC went off-line. I said for him to hold on for a few mins before doing anything.  5ish mins later the router went off and then started flashing it's lights, couldn't find a signal.

Even had a few engineers over the years (yes years!) saying the signal from the exchange was weak and that the exchange was to far away. One engineer a couple of years ago even said "but Virgin are to cheep to put booster on the line". I remember him saying the exchange was about 4miles away.

Don't get me wrong and that the internet and TV is like this every day. We can go fine for a month or two but then it is like this every day for two weeks and then on and off for the third week, then back to the start with it being fine for a month or two.

Also it's not just the internet but also the TV. When the internet is going crazy the TV starts pixellating like crazy. So I don't think it's the Ethernet cable.

"The only other thing I can think of is that there is a program on one of your devices that has an auto update scheduled between 12-7pm everyday, but for it do that must be malicious or not working properly". - nope the boyfriend PC is the same so not just my PC. If I get knocked off line he's off line a few mins later.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It might be worth asking the neighbours if this is happening to them. It's not a utilisation issue. It's technical and likely to be RF noise ingress because the TV is pixellating.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
MichelleH
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I know it might help but In this neighborhood? No thank you.

0 Kudos