Menu
CupOfTea1
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 newbie query

Hi there,

Bear of very little brain here. Does any one know if I can set up the new Hub 3.0 whilst still keeping the old hub thing 'live' during the transition process? I'm pretty worried about stranding myself with no internet access if the Hub 3.0 transition messes up (which it may well do due to my cluelessness). I haven't got a mobile phone or any other device with internet access. And I see that all the advice about setting up the Hub / troubleshooting is online...which I won't be able to read if I can't get online.

Advice very welcome! I've had this new Hub sitting in its delivery box for a month now and really need to get it installed.

Many thanks,

CupOfTea1

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub 3.0 newbie query

the switch over should work ok - you cannot keep the original hub active - that will be turned off and the hub3 activated - you need phone access for that to happen - if it does go wrong then you should be able to sort it via the phone

what hub do you have now some of the older ones need replacing but if you have a hub2 or a 2ac then going to a hub3 is marginal

Tony
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Vm will only "provision" (activate) one HUB per address at one time. So there is no way to overlap the two.

Best advice is-

Do it during UK office hours. Have a phone handy. If it goes pear shaped, ring them n 150, options1,4,5, "thinking of leaving us" will land you with sensible, UK based help people who do far more than their official title of "retention's"

One thing- a month is along time for the window for accepting a change to stay open on your account- might be owrth checking ahead of time, on teh same number etc, that you are still able to activate it via the automated line.

On the good news side- if you are unable to activate the new HUB , that means your old one is still active- so you can just plug it back in and return to business as usual, THEN phone in and tell em what happened- or come here and tell us.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

the switch over should work ok - you cannot keep the original hub active - that will be turned off and the hub3 activated - you need phone access for that to happen - if it does go wrong then you should be able to sort it via the phone

what hub do you have now some of the older ones need replacing but if you have a hub2 or a 2ac then going to a hub3 is marginal

Tony
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Vm will only "provision" (activate) one HUB per address at one time. So there is no way to overlap the two.

Best advice is-

Do it during UK office hours. Have a phone handy. If it goes pear shaped, ring them n 150, options1,4,5, "thinking of leaving us" will land you with sensible, UK based help people who do far more than their official title of "retention's"

One thing- a month is along time for the window for accepting a change to stay open on your account- might be owrth checking ahead of time, on teh same number etc, that you are still able to activate it via the automated line.

On the good news side- if you are unable to activate the new HUB , that means your old one is still active- so you can just plug it back in and return to business as usual, THEN phone in and tell em what happened- or come here and tell us.

CupOfTea1
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony. I have what appears to be an ancient 'Netgear' hub thing. It doesn't appear to have hub2 or 2ac written on it anywhere. It's pretty old!
0 Kudos
CupOfTea1
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi there kippies,

Many thanks, and very good point about perhaps leaving it for a month may have changed things. I'll give VM a call (during UK office hours) to check out what the situation is before I attempt to do anything! Good thinking!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As for "bear of little brain"

"You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think," said Christopher Robin to Pooh.

These things SEEM technically complex but rarely are.  Smiley Wink They wouldn't trust idiots like me with SU badges if they were.

Art_Manager
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 newbie query. Need instructions that include old kit like NETGEAR.

After being threatened with shut off on April 30th I have been forced to receive the new Hub 3.0.

But...

...the instructions make no mention of the TWO pieces of old kit, connected by a yellow cable and working perfectly well with the blue cable and not WiFi (my upright NETGEAR and the lying down hub thingy (this is NOT a superhub I have managed to establish - in a Virgin video web I found on the web they refer to it as the  Modem and then call it a Router a moment later. So which is it?).

The instructions assume I have one Superhub and so I am terribly confused and very afraid, like many, that it will go wrong. I don't need WiFi by the way but I am willing to try it.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
Awal
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I'm not sure if this is still an issue or not, but just in case.

It's a bit hard to be certain based on just the colour of the cables but here goes at me trying to be helpful, apologies if I make things more confusing.

The Hub3 is super like the superhubs before it because it is a cable modem, wireless (WiFi) and wired router all in one black box.

My top tip is to note down where all the cables go currently or take a picture if you have a smart phone/digital camera, so that if it all goes wrong you can easily put things back how they were.

So one of your current boxes will have a white round cable that comes from the VM wall box connected to it (Well mine is white and all the ones I've seen are white), it will have a sort of nut type connector which is why they give you the little black plastic spanner. Let's call this box 1.

One of your boxes will hopefully have an ethernet cable running from your computer(s) network socket connected in to one of its sockets. Let's call this box 2.
Before you start the anxious migration you can check that this cable will fit in to one of the 4 sockets at the back of the Hub3.

So following the instructions from VirginMedia about when to call them, turn things on & off etc. Sorry I can't remember the sequence, but connection wise there are only 2 you have to worry about.

At some point you will need to disconnect the white cable from the back of box 1 and connect it to the back of your Hub3, there's just the one matching round connector, use the spanner, you don't need to really but it does help and helps confirm you've got the right cable.

Unplug the cable that comes from your computer from the back of box 2 (leave the cable plugged in to your computer) and plug it in to one of the 4 matching sockets on the back of the Hub3

That's it, it should work.

I'm not the biggest fan of VM's call centres but I do have to say that their self-install help team are friendly and very happy to talk you through any issue.

Art_Manager
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply. You are actually the first person to point out (during what you excellently descibe as an 'anxious migration') that I would be moving from two boxes to a...... modem, wireless (WiFi) and wired router all in one black box. Now VirginMedia call it a 'hub'. That's four bits of terminology straight off the bat that VirginMedia assume we understand! I got very confused.

Anyway good news(ish). Two hours later, after two very long phone calls and allowing remote access...

...my Hub3.0 is now fully operational as WiFi for my little Netbook and wired for my main PC. At no point in the instructions is there a check for a WiFi Adapter. Yep, old school I know, but my pc is so old it only has a LAN Adapter.

So what have we learnt? Apart from the fact I can't connect to WiFi on my pc yet.

Yes, typically the people who design these IT solutions have the best up-to-date kit and don't consider stuff that is years old. I checked, mine is over seven years old....but it worked fine.

0 Kudos
Awal
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Glad it went well. Don't worry about not using WiFi for your main PC, I don't Smiley Happy Wired connections never go wrong, they never suffer speed problems because someone using a microwave, and they never suddenly stop working because your Hub has been reset to factory settings remotely by VM. WiFi is fine for phones and other peoples laptops but my kit is wired in.