Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5 (481 Views)

Hub 3.0 Rogue Wifi Hotspot

[ Edited ]

I've just got had my Hub 2ac replaced with a Hub3.0.
As usually, I ensure the guest Wifi network is disabled (Which they are)Screenshot 2017-05-17 19.13.49.png

However, I've noticed there's a rogue wifi network called "Virgin Media" <Local Admin> showing on the same channel as my 2.4ghz network secured by EAP.
There's others with the same name I can only assume from my neighbours with the Hub3.0

2017-05-17 18.19.30.png

Is this some kind of guest network for VM engineers or something?

There doesn't appear to be anyway to disable it.

My area is already overcrowded with wifi networks (city centre flats) without this.

Anyone know what it's for and if it's possible to turn it off?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 5 (869 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by robaldred
‎24-05-2017 20:38

Re: Hub 3.0 Rogue Wifi Hotspot

Congratulations, you have been volunteered to act as a public wi-fi hotspot.

https://arstechnica.co.uk/business/2017/04/virgin-media-wifi-public-hotspots/

You can turn it off by signing into My Virgin Media, then clicking on the My Profile tab and selecting the Opt Out button.  It may take a few days before VM send a signal to your hub to turn off the facility.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 5 (870 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by robaldred
‎24-05-2017 20:38

Congratulations, you have been volunteered to act as a public wi-fi hotspot.

https://arstechnica.co.uk/business/2017/04/virgin-media-wifi-public-hotspots/

You can turn it off by signing into My Virgin Media, then clicking on the My Profile tab and selecting the Opt Out button.  It may take a few days before VM send a signal to your hub to turn off the facility.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
Well-informed
Message 3 of 5 (462 Views)

This is the Virgin Media wifi access for other VM customers to use while out and about using the Virgin Media wifi app for iPhone or Android. If you install the app on your phone, you will be able to use other VM hot spots from other​ customer's Hubs.

If you do not want your Hub to be used for this you can opt out by logging into your myvirginmedia account. I think it us under your profile.

Although the hot spot shares you 2.4G wifi channel it has it's own Broadband capacity and does not use any of your allowance. It will not provide access to your network.
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5 (444 Views)

[ Edited ]

Sneeky, I never got an email or letter about that!
No one really knows if it really is properly isolated from the customers network.

It explains why they were so keen to replace my Hub ac.
I'll tell my neighbours to do the same.

Thanks both for your help.

0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 5 of 5 (430 Views)

BT do the something similar. They obviously want as many users as possible opted in, so use that as the default. Some people did receive notification but obviously not all. Legally the Hub is their property that they use to provide you with your service, but there is nothing to prevent them using it to provide other services.

If you want to be sure that your wifi is fully under your control, you can put your hub into modem mode and buy your own router. You would also have the benefit of improved wifi and more control if you choose the right model.
0 Kudos