Menu
richard1900
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

External Cable Routing

Hi,

My neighbour is having  a standard 50mb VM package installed but we need to lay a conduit under or around his block paving drive before they arrive to fit the external cable.

Are they still using the figure of 8 - ish  black rubber cable like I have,  or have they moved on to something smaller.  ( its fibre to the cabin, not the house)

The distance from the pavement to the wall of the house is only about 12ft, so think a 40mm pipe would be ok ?   but not sure about an elbow for the right angle to take it up the wall.

Expect there is a specification somewhere saying what the minimum radius is for the cable, but would something like the 90deg fitting used in 40mm domestic waste plastic plumbing be large enough ?

thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: External Cable Routing

Hi Richard,

Yes VM are indeed still using the conjoined twin cable in a figure of eight like the VM infinity logo.  The thicker cable carries the broadband and TV whilst the thinner cable carries the phone.   It's girth is 15mm x 10mm.   Not sure what dimension conduit VM use but I would have thought that 40mm should be more than adequate.  It would probably be handy if you could pre-install a nylon pull through rope in the pipe to aid the cable pull when the engineer arrives.

On the subject of right angle bends I would be a bit wary of that myself.  The cable is quite stiff and could be difficult to get round a 90 degree bend.  Even if it did get round it would put a very tight radius on the cable which could distort its cross section and change its natural 70 ohm impedance.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron

All Replies
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Richard,

Yes VM are indeed still using the conjoined twin cable in a figure of eight like the VM infinity logo.  The thicker cable carries the broadband and TV whilst the thinner cable carries the phone.   It's girth is 15mm x 10mm.   Not sure what dimension conduit VM use but I would have thought that 40mm should be more than adequate.  It would probably be handy if you could pre-install a nylon pull through rope in the pipe to aid the cable pull when the engineer arrives.

On the subject of right angle bends I would be a bit wary of that myself.  The cable is quite stiff and could be difficult to get round a 90 degree bend.  Even if it did get round it would put a very tight radius on the cable which could distort its cross section and change its natural 70 ohm impedance.

Electron
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Richard,

Me again.  As luck would have it a Virgin cable pull crew has just arrived to pull a new cable for one of my neighbours.  It turns out that because our flats are set way back from the road and street cabinet they use a heavier duty cable for our installations to avoid signal losses over such a long run.  It's that heavy duty stuff that I gave the dimensions for.  I imagine the normal cable for shorter street to house connections is thinner and probably a bit more flexible.

The conduit they use is green, flexible and 30mm.  I asked him about right angle bends and his only comment after a sharp intake of breath was 'very dodgy'.

Electron
richard1900
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Dave,

They say someone is coming around from VM to check their site, but what they say and what the installers do, might not be the same ...

I've suggested to the neighbour that we lay down some conduit before the installers come, so its already neatly finished.

Mine had that 30mm green conduit but they just used a meter of it from the pavement to the lawn and  the lawn to house wall, the 10 mtrs of actual lawn they just put the bare rubber cable in, just 2 -3 " deep,  I know because I dug it all out earlier this year as some of it was coming to the surface and in danger of the lawn mower cutting it ! , made a 300mm deep trench and put it in some split conduiting; a straight run  no bends.

0 Kudos