Menu
Fatsad
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Broadband down in Camberley

Anyone else having issues today (Sat 25th). Virgin tech support telling there's a network issue, but there sure is not reporting it. They advise 24hrs to fix. I cannot find any other reference to the outage... wondering if the issue is actually just my connection ...
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband down in Camberley

hiya @Fatsad the outage/status page is more for priority 1 issues effecting large scale areas, since it would be around 5+ days for the forum admin to run a check on your connection.. you could callback and query scale of issues how many effecting since the phone support will have access to this information.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Fatsad
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Paul,
Tech support had advised me that all their engineers in the area were working on it and that's why couldn't schedule an engineer to visit me on 9th March. Seemed ridiculous, but I assumed therefore that is a major outage. Either that or they are stringing me a line.
It's been over 6hrs since the outage and still no fix or even mention in their website, so I'm beginning to think they are not telling me the real story. ....

I'll try calling them again to see what they have to say...

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Fatsad
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Called over 4hrs ago was told the whole area was down, and would be fixed in 2-4 hrs..

Still no fix.

Called them back on the line that claims to be open from 8am-midnight, only to hear they are. Is closed ! Is this the kind of customer service I can expect in future ? Ridiculous.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello Fatsad,

Thanks for getting in touch Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear about the troubles you're having with your connection. I can see an engineer is booked to visit you tomorrow. If possible, would you please update your thread after the visit so we know the latest. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Catch up with you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Fatsad
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather.

The problem for which the engineer is attending tomorrow is not related to a service outage - but related to the fact that ever since my Superhub3.0 was installed around 3 weeks ago, it's repeatedly dropping connection with the Virgin Servers. Sometime it fails for a few minutes, other times it's several hours. I've had a new hub sent to me - but it suffers the same problem.

I'm told the engineer coming tomorrow is a 'Senior Tech'. 

Let's see if he can do something about it, as we're currently unable to work from home - having to commute to london office (3hours) or utilise local coffee shops to function in our jobs. Completely unacceptable and will be looking to see what Virgin will do to recompense loss of service and consequent costs.

The original Issue for which i posted was a complete service outage. I was told by Virgin that this was not specific to myself but the whole virgin area (26) ... the service came back after around 10hours. However it was never reported on Virgin Media's own Site Service Issues web page - leaving me to conclude that it was not a General Outage for Area26 - but that I was being told that to make me go away.

Will update you on the Engineer visit tomorrow, and if no progress made on the  currently looking to cancel the Virgin Pakage completely and switch back to SKY. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey Fatsad,

Thanks for the quick reply Smiley Happy

I know this is frustrating for you and I will do everything I can to help.

How are you getting on now since the engineer has been to visit you? Was he able to shed some light on your connection problems?

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Fatsad
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Update... The engineer came around on Saturday. He discovered that the new connection installed outside my property by the installer was a bad job. the connection was not sound - causing poor connectivity. He also checked the connection in the junction box down the street and reported there were issues at that end also, and rewired that too.  

interestingly i saw the junction box he was working on, and it was a different one to that which the original installed worked on  - leading me to wonder if the original installer had actually been working on the wrong one !

Since the repairs, the signal has been far better.  So it seems that we lost 2 weeks of connectivity an incurred significant additional costs due to incompetent installation by the original Virgin Installer, and refusal by the Indian call centre to accept that the problem was more than just the router.

Also now convinced that there was never a camberley wide outage - and that was a way to get me to go away.  I've seen no record of the outage and no one else in my area saw a problem around the same time. So i feel unable to trust Virgin's any more..

Performance seems variable... from 31mbps to 200mbps , Ping from 10ms to 27ms.

Will continue monitoring, but hope we don't see a return to dropouts.

0 Kudos