Menu
Curly
Superfast
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

teredo

Hi Guys, I'm using windows 10 and when I check the services available through my hub in network folder there are entries for teredo from this computer, I don't know exactly what that is , I thought it was for programmers or something..so I am curious as to why they would be there.. any ideas?

0 Kudos
Curly
Superfast
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: teredo

Please can anyone help me to understand what these services are and if it's usual for them to be there or not..  sometimes entries are to do with gaming and are through the playstation...  but I have no idea what these others are for , or if they  could possibly pose a security risk, I'd be so grateful for any help in understanding what they are..

Capturesettingsofhubhowingservicesinternet userscanaccess.JPG

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hello Curly

I am far from being an expert but believe teredo is used for IPv6 tunnelling over IPv4, in other words a way to connect to IPv6 over an IPv4 connection such as Virgin Media. It looks like it will be included on the XBOX by the way New Xbox experiences launching on Windows 10 will use Teredo for P2P communications 

Hope that helps

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
Curly
Superfast
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Nicola_C wrote:

Hello Curly

I am far from being an expert but believe teredo is used for IPv6 tunnelling over IPv4, in other words a way to connect to IPv6 over an IPv4 connection such as Virgin Media. It looks like it will be included on the XBOX by the way New Xbox experiences launching on Windows 10 will use Teredo for P2P communications 

Hope that helps

Thanks Nicola, I appreciate your reply Smiley Very Happy  yes I realised its for ipv6tunnelling, sorry I didn't make myself clear, I understand that some of the entries for teredo are explainable, when I look at their properties, I can see the ip address of the device that is using it, so for instance I can recognise the playstation.. but I don't understand why my laptop would be using it, I don't have an xbox, would the new xbox experience launching on windows 10 affect me? sorry if I appear to ask stupid questions, obviously I don't know enough about these things.

0 Kudos