Menu
wice22
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

some sort of burst feature capping bandwidth in Hub 3 ?

Hi, I'm using Hub 3 as a router for our network

I did notice that if there is a lard file transfer over the network, we are getting some huge drop in in Exactly 10 seconds

It sounds as a burst bandwidth capping feature I'm using at work if I need to cap the large transfers Smiley Happy

But here at home I do not wish to have any capping when it comes to a Local (Not Internet) data transfer using service I pay 65 euros per month .

Anyone has any idea how to omit this 10 sec capping VirginMedia desided to set, for some strange reason in this router?

Regards

Markus 

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: some sort of burst feature capping bandwidth in Hub 3 ?

The hub3 doesn't have a cap on lan tranfers, its just that it doesn't have a particularly good switch and its possible the cpu in it is being overloaded which may or may not be related to intels handling of the puma3 chipset and may or may dissapear if they ever get around to fixing it.

In the meantime could you run things via your own internal internet switch and bypass the hub3.

0 Kudos
wice22
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

well I could accept this as overload issue if cap would start randomly

But it starts Exactly in 10 seconds every time I'm testing it

that can be settings only

edit 1

the bandwidth will still eventually go trough router sins it is used as a wifi in the house.

so not really a point to use an other gbit switch

edit 2

your own internal internet switch

Do you mean to get a completely different router and using hub 3 as a modem ? Smiley Happy  why I'm paying 65 euros per month then if I have to spend an other 100-150 to get a dissent router ? Smiley Happy  

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

sorry yes i did just mean gigabit switch.

so is this a transfer between a wired and a wireless device? what sort of speeds are you getting before and after ?

and the overload could still happen at roughly the same time as thats how long it takes before it overloads...

another alternative is that it takes that long before a write cache fills up or something.

anyway I'm 99.8 certain no one has added an intentional limit to lan to lan transfers into the hub3

0 Kudos
wice22
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

yes,  NAS is connected as a Wired Device,  

and all other Devices has NAS as a SCSI  drive,

for  small files which loads under 10 sec I'm having a full speed 90-120 MB/s so nearly full Gbit

but exactly after 10 secs it drops to 8-9 MB/sec,

This hub 3 has many drops implemented, an other one is with 5Ghz net, when hub is getting overloaded it drops all 5Ghz network and keeps 2.4 one only Smiley Happy that way it keep working Smiley Happy , dropping all heavy users. but that one is the one I can live with, all systems reconnect to 2.4 automatically,  but this bandwidth cap on big files is a pain ,  

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, ok lets be frank here Smiley Happy

You have 3 options.

1) wait for virgin to fix the issue.
In about a week a member of Virgin staff will have a look at this, and may be able to arrange a router swap. As its a Lan issue there's not much else they can do and there is a chance the new router will behave the same way. You could try and get a hub2ac which may fix it although its wifi is meant to be worse the the hub3. Although plenty of people have had problems with the Hub3s ethernet ports, a slow down after 10 seconds doesn't sound like a straight forward dodgy port.
Alternatively Virgin may release a new firmware which may fix the issue, but that could take months and there is no grantee is fixable or that if it is a fix will be implemented.
Also there is still a chance that it could be down to other local issues such as your NASs performance or something in which case nothing virgin will do will fix it.. 

2 Invest in a Gigabit switch,
they are pretty cheap these days, and all your ethernet connected devices can bypass the Hub, you could also/instead invest in a reasonably cheap router and use it as a secondary access point which could then share the wifi load with the Hub (or you could put your hub in modem mode in which case you'd want a more decent router to take over all its routing functions).

3 Go with another isp, although I expect you may be outside your cooloff period..

0 Kudos
wice22
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It can not be NAS's fault for a simple reason, I've got an other one unboxed  last week, and before taking it to office I tested it home, Absolutely the same story.

and I had replacement of hub3 Smiley Happy , again exactly the same, that was around a year a go, and engineer who came told me Exactly the same, 

"The best I can do is to wait, till some nice uncle engineer "May" implement some patch" Smiley Happy)

the Gbit switch...., I have it, but I do not see how it can help, unless I will wire all my devices Smiley Happy which obviously is unrealistic.

I've been thinking replacing the router, or at list set an other for 5G, disabling 5G from hub3,  and "hopping" that will also fix the Disk issue, 

But to do so I need a good router

a) with Gb interface

b) decent wifi coverage and AC,

c) with hub, which will not overload,

and this ones are expensive, 

This damn hub3 has really good wifi antenna and routers with this kind of coverage are around 100-150 euros, some even more...

I'm also thinking of changing provider but can't find anyone with decent service yet .... 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Markus 

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are having difficulties with the hub 3, may I ask where you are located please as you mentioned that you paid in Euros. We only provide support on this forum for Virgin media customers in the UK as the Hub3s are not all the same.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
wice22
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, I'm in Ireland,
and here Irish virgin don't even have the forum to discuss Smiley Happy)
The best I can do is to call Irish virgin support, and talk so some chap in Delhi/India Smiley Happy)
to get a million of excuses, but nothing to be done to fix the issue Smiley Happy)))

cheers
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Markus

Sorry it must be a little frustrating, are you aware of the Irish Virgin Media forum http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1546

Thanks

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos