Menu
turbop45
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

hub dilema

Hi I'm currently using a the first super hub and struggle to get Wi-Fi coverage would getting a hub 3 improve it as I've been told they are better for Wi-Fi or would I be better gettinga  different router and using mine as a modem.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: hub dilema

The sweet spot ATM is SHUB2AC rather than 3. Phone in to retention's, 150,option 4,5 during office hours will land you with UK onshore support. Tell them you've the original HUB and that the WIFI is not fit for purpose.

Depending on the structure of your house that may or may not fix the issue- if not, time for a separate router. Or if your mad keen on streaming or gaming, or use a lot of devices LAN side, just go for a separate router straight off and stick your HUB in modem mode.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The sweet spot ATM is SHUB2AC rather than 3. Phone in to retention's, 150,option 4,5 during office hours will land you with UK onshore support. Tell them you've the original HUB and that the WIFI is not fit for purpose.

Depending on the structure of your house that may or may not fix the issue- if not, time for a separate router. Or if your mad keen on streaming or gaming, or use a lot of devices LAN side, just go for a separate router straight off and stick your HUB in modem mode.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

All of the hubs are basic 'get you going' devices, so if you are the slightest bit serious about getting good WiFi performance, but yourself a cable router (ASUS make good cable routers) and modem mode the hub. If all you want is a boost WiFi wise, then by all means get a newer hub, but don't expect it to provide 5 bar signal strength in every part of your home and all through your front/back gardens.

@Kippies is right about the 2 AC, it does the same WiFi performance as the hub 3 - just without the hundreds of long unresolved problems that the hub 3.0 is riddled with firmware wise. Recent firmware updates for the hub 3.0 just continue to add more bugs to the very long list and are also removing/nerfing features that were previously available.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.