Menu
angiejane_2000
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Wifi Light Flashing

Hi,

We had Virgin tv, broadband and phone installed last week.  We were not left any instructions about the router so have no idea what all the lights mean as it was set up for us.  It looks to me like it is the 3.0 hub, I don't know if that is the latest one or not.  However, the wifi light (green) on the front is flashing continuously.  My internet is working, I have no problem with that, but do not know if this green light should be flashing or what it means if it is flashing.   

Can anyone help please?

Thanks, Angie

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi Light Flashing

Hi Angie

I'm not familiar with the 3.0 Hub, but below is what the online help has to say about the lights on that model.  According to this the WiFi light should only flash if the WPS button has been pressed and then only for 2 minutes.  This may be a firmware bug, the 3.0 hub has a few of them.

Hub 3.0

The behaviour of the lights on the Hub 3.0 are different compared to other routers. The lights on the Hub 3.0 will only be lit if there is an issue, otherwise, with the exception of the Base LED, the lights will be off.

Front Panel

Here is a view of the front panel of the Hub 3.0. A guide to the lights can be found below.

Hub 3.0 Front Panel

WiFi Light
WiFi

When the Hub 3.0 has completed its start up procedure, the WiFi light will remain on for 2 minutes before going off. It will only remain lit if there is a problem with WiFi.

Internet Light
Internet

The internet light will flash when it is acquiring a connection and, once connected, it will remain on for 2 minutes before going off. It will also flash if the Hub 3.0 is downloading new software. Otherwise, the light will only remain lit or flash if there is an issue with the connection.

Phone Light
Phone

The phone light won't be lit as we don't currently provide a phone service through our Hub 3.0.

Base LED

The Base LED will be the only light that will stay on during normal operation.

Note: The internet light may be different from the image shown. It may say 'INTERNET' instead.

Note: With the current Hub 3.0 software there are some situations where the lights will remain on but this will change in future updates.

For example, if you turn off the wireless signal the WiFi and Internet lights will remain lit. Also, if the Hub 3.0 is in Modem Mode, the WiFi and Internet lights will remain lit.

Front panel WPS button

The WPS button is just above the Virgin Media logo.

Pressing the button for two seconds will prepare the Hub 3.0 to connect to compatible WPS devices. The WiFi light will flash green for 2 minutes during this process.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

angiejane_2000
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I had read that but thanks for posting it. Virgin left me no manual for my router or tito box so I have no idea whether it is OK for it to be flashing or what causes it to flash. Virginstow answer was well if your Internet is working don't worry about it. Unsure what to do now.
0 Kudos
Synthetic
Superfast
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

angiejane_2000 wrote:
I had read that but thanks for posting it. Virgin left me no manual for my router or tito box so I have no idea whether it is OK for it to be flashing or what causes it to flash. Virginstow answer was well if your Internet is working don't worry about it. Unsure what to do now.

Hi Angie, 

I can't find it now, but I'm sure I've read somewhere that the wifi light flashing is a known bug in the current firmware on the SH3 and nothing to worry about Smiley Happy

It should be resolved once VM eventually roll out a better firmware for this hub!

Cristiano
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I am having the same problem as described: ininterrupt green WiFi light flashing, but internet working normally.
Hypothesis of a bug makes sense, but as it has passed 5 months of the conversation I would like to know if anyone has managed to fix the irritating permanent green on-and-off.
Thanks,
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cristiano,

Apologies for your connection issues, and for our late response to your post. 

I have checked the network segment to which you connect but can find no fault that result in your poor connection. However your Hub is reporting high downstream power levels which will need to be reduced by an engineer.
Please reply to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) and I'll get an appointment scheduled in for you.
Once the power levels have been optimised, and if the problem persists, we'll investigate other potential causes.

Bye for now Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Brhojh6
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi the wifi light on my 3.0 hub has just started flashing green too. I've tried turning the hub off and back on but it still flashes. I can still get wifi so not sure if I should ignor it or not

0 Kudos
Brhojh6
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi the wifi light on my 3.0 hub has just started flashing green too. I've tried turning the hub off and back on but it still flashes. I can still get wifi so not sure if I should ignor it or not
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Nothing to worry about if WiFi works. The topic has been done to death on the forums and a search on the term FLASHING should bring you to all the causes and work-arounds for those obsessed with turning it off!

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Anibee
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I had same priblem on my hub for a few days then i notice a button below flashin wifi light which said pair wps so i pressed it and the flashing green lite has gone ....
0 Kudos