Menu
MarkOvenden
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

WiFi signal deteriorates over time

Have you noticed when the router box is new it can deliver wifi signal around your home without any problems and never needs resetting?

Then after while it requires the odd reset, then it needs it more frequently. Then it starts to need it almost every day or more often. (Yes I've tried all the standard fixes like changing channels obviously).

My theory is that something causes the boxes to deteriorate over time. (I know that this doesnt make any sense, but it's happened with every broadband router box we've ever had, first with BT now with Virgin Media, but also a several different addresses, so it just has to be part of the picture).

Be interested to hear your thoughts on my cookie theory?! And secondly is there a known fix (other than channel changing)? Or do I just simply need another new router?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: WiFi signal deteriorates over time

Hey MarkOvenden,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Your theory certainly is interesting! You could be onto something as everything eventually needs to be replaced, especially if it starts to over heat or something.

I've been using the same Superhub 2 for about 4 years now, and although we've since released newer Hub's, I've not felt the urge to upgrade as it's still performing well for me.

Wireless can be tricky as you know there's many devices that can cause interference. So it could be that with time you're bringing new devices into your home that are conflicting. That being said, I won't rule out the possibility that your Superhub might have lived it's life.

Let me know if you're having persistent problems and we'll investigate further.

Thanks again for your thoughts, have a great weekend.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hey MarkOvenden,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Your theory certainly is interesting! You could be onto something as everything eventually needs to be replaced, especially if it starts to over heat or something.

I've been using the same Superhub 2 for about 4 years now, and although we've since released newer Hub's, I've not felt the urge to upgrade as it's still performing well for me.

Wireless can be tricky as you know there's many devices that can cause interference. So it could be that with time you're bringing new devices into your home that are conflicting. That being said, I won't rule out the possibility that your Superhub might have lived it's life.

Let me know if you're having persistent problems and we'll investigate further.

Thanks again for your thoughts, have a great weekend.

Heather_J

0 Kudos
MarkOvenden
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Wow, great reply, and very fair and balanced.

I hear you - but its odd how all the boxes work almost perfectly at first then gradually deteriorate in time. We really have not any new devices in our home for the day this one arrived so I'm sticking to my theory! LOL.

But since posting it has definitely become an almost daily problem now. So if I may, please can I take up your kind offer of some more help? You must have all my personal details and contact numbers etc. Perfectly fine for one of the engineers to call me (but please don't make it a run of the mill customer service person because with the best will in the world they do tend to follow their scripts somewhat slavishly and I think we have identified the problem and turned the thing on and off enough times to know that we perhaps need some more expert help!)

Cheers, Mark

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hey Mark,

Thanks for getting back to me Smiley Happy

Apologies that your equipment is still under performing.

I appreciate it's frustrating so I want to resolve this as quickly as possible.

I'll send you a PM (purple envelope, top right) with some further suggestion.

Catch you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

0 Kudos