Menu
Jimbob1862
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Wi-fi intermittent

Could anyone help. I have a Virgin Superhub 2 and at least 8 times a day lose the wi-fi signal to my notepad, P.c. and mobile. The signal strength indicator on these things keep changing from blue, normal running to white and I cannot access the internet. The hub 2.5 GHz light starts to flash at regular intervals, say once a second. I have to keep on turning the hub off and back on again sometimes this doesn't even work and have to reboot the hub two or three times. I have been in touch with Virgin help but the problem hasn't changed. Clan anyone tell me if other internet providers are the same.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wi-fi intermittent

Hey Jimbob1862,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy I'm sorry to hear you're suffering problems with your wireless connections.

Wireless can be impacted by a number of factors in the local environment, unfortunately we don't have direct control over these. You mention the 2.4 GHz light is flashing on the hub, are the devices that drop all on this network, do you have anything using 5 GHz and is it working OK? Do the devices only lose their connection when you see the light flashing?

I'd recommend checking a wired connection to see if the internet as a whole drops out or if it's just wireless. I'd also suggest reading through our getting the best wireless network signal help article for some suggestions to improve things, specifically look at changing the channels to find a less congested channel.

I've checked the hub and everything appears to be OK, so let me know how you get on with the above and we'll take it from there.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Jimbob1862
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Thank you for your prompt reply. I don't have any direct wired components. The hub is situated in my living room which is about as central as I can place it in my house. My P.C. Is upstairs and connected via an ethernet mains connector. My phone and tablet use the wi-fi signal. Whenever the hub 25khz flashes at regular intervals the PC loses the internet connection and the wi-fi signal strength indicators on my phone turn from blue to white. I think the problem is with the hub not getting the internet from the virgin cable or a problem with the hub itself.

I am not sure as I am no whizz when it comes to such things.

My son who is with Virgin doesn't have these problems nor my Dad who is with talk talk.

I hope you can help me.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey Jimbob1862,

Thanks for getting back to us Smiley Happy

Apologies again for the connection problems you're having. Have you had a chance to try and change your operating wireless channel yet? Often this will help improve the wireless performance.

If this doesn't help for you please let us know so we can continue to investigate.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Jimbob1862
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Heather.

I am not sure if the channel is the problem. I seem to get quite a good WiFi signal on my mobile and tablet, I just don't get any internet data and am unable to connect to the internet. Even though my mobile and tablet are picking up a signal from the hub the searches I carry out time out. It's almost as though the hub is working but no data is coming down the cable

As I have said, I am not that good with technical things so I have probably got all of the above wrong.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey Jimbob1862,

Thanks again for a quick reply Smiley Happy

No probs, I can change the channel for you from my side, I'll just need to confirm a few of your details first.

I'll drop you a PM (purple envelope, top right) with more info.

Speak soon.

Heather_J

0 Kudos
Jimbob1862
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Heather.

Sorry to bother you again. I am not sure if swapping the channels has had much success. I am still losing internet on both wi-fi and ethernet connections. Yesterday I had to reboot the hub three times and lost connection for about 3 hours. I will think it is the signal through the hub or down the cable. As previously mentioned, my mobile and tablet internet signal strength is quite good, I just don't seem to be getting any data from the hub. When I go into settings on my tablet, the wi-fi signal from the hub is picked up but I just can't get an IP address.

Once again, I am sorry to keep pestering you but I hope you can sort this out for me soon.

John

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Thanks for getting back in touch, I hope you're well Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry to hear that you're still struggling with your connection, I'm still not picking up on any errors from our end, but I think we're missing each other so would you please be able to set up a TBB monitor for us to check. Take a look at this link as it'll show you how to set up a monitor which will give us a bit more info.

Thanks again,

Speak soon.

Heather_J

0 Kudos
Jimbob1862
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Heather.

So far today no crashes. I have set up the TBB Broadband Monitor but am not sure if it is working as there is only one bar on the graph that shows RED. This is telling me that from 12.30am until 1.00pm there was 100% dropped packets, whatever that means. I am going to see if I can get my son round or one of his mates to see if they can give me any ideas as to what the problem is.

John

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Jimbob1862 wrote:

Hello Heather.

So far today no crashes. I have set up the TBB Broadband Monitor but am not sure if it is working as there is only one bar on the graph that shows RED. This is telling me that from 12.30am until 1.00pm there was 100% dropped packets, whatever that means. I am going to see if I can get my son round or one of his mates to see if they can give me any ideas as to what the problem is.

John

Check/confirm that ICMP echo response is enabled -

192.168.100.1 > SignIn (Top RH corner) > Advanced Settings > Tools: Ping > (Tick/Enable) Wan Ping Respond

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos