Menu
jackie318
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Upload speed faster than download speed

Hi everyone,

So the past couple of days I've been experiencing a real loss of download speeds, down to 3-5mbps. I've ran numerous speed tests and they've all come back around this number. The strange thing is, is my upload speeds are running at around 10-12mbps. Can anyone explain why this is? I'm also supposedly on the Vivid 152 fibre optic line, so I can apparently get up to 200mbps. It's never been this bad before. Only a couple of weeks ago I was pulling in around 50mb download speed. No reported problems in the area or engineer work going on. I've no idea what has caused this sudden drop in speed. I've rang Virgin to see if they can help and they claimed there were no problems on their end. Said that if the issue persists, I can request a new router. But I'm not too convinced it's the router's problem, if I'm getting okay upload speeds like I say. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upload speed faster than download speed

hiya @jackie318 welcome to the virginmedia community forum, first would be looking at the signal levels if you could got http://192.168.0.1 clicking router status top right [no need to login] and if copy/paste the downstream, upstream, network log and operational config.. don't worry about the formatting we can easily read it.

as for the cause take your pick of downsteam power level issue, SnR, network utilization, been strangely traffic managed on downstream etc etc.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
jackie318
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi @paultechy, thanks for replying! Info you requested is below:

Network log was empty, so didn't think there was much point in posting it Smiley Happy I just thought it was odd that it's only just dropped severely these past couple of days. I can usually pull 50+mbps so it's kind of jarring to go from that to what I'm on now. Also frustrating as I can't stream anything in high quality. Thanks for any info you have!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

everything is looking ok, are you testing this wired/wireless?, if wireless can you test it wired
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
jackie318
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I was testing wireless, d'oh! Completely forgot I was on my laptop. Results from ethernet connection are below (also included a couple of speed tests, just as an fyi):

Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 22.45.31.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-30 at 22.47.15.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-30 at 22.48.04.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 22.48.16.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-30 at 22.48.27.png

Hope any of this helps!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi jackie318,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you're having speed issues.

I've run a diagnostic on your equipment and everything is looking healthy at the moment. Levels are good and there are no network faults in your area.

I'd like you to reboot the hub for me (switch off at the mains for a minute), then run a speed test with the hub in Modem Mode.

Let me know how it goes! Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
jackie318
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Josh,

Fortunately, the speeds seemed to have levelled out a little. My dad still isn't impressed that he's paying for up to 200mb and only getting 25mb but I'm not sure there's much you can do about that. The only thing he's thought about doing is lowering the contract he's on, but would that negatively impact my download speeds? I do a lot of video game streaming so I'd be worried that him moving to a slower speed would affect what I do. Anyway, as I say, things seemed to have sorted themselves, so I'm guessing it was just a glitch in the works for a couple of days. Thanks for replying to my posts though!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi jackie318,

No problem, glad to hear it's better now!

It wouldn't have much impact on your service if you downgraded. The lowest package we offer at the moment is 50Mbps which is still plenty for most.

Keep an eye on it and give me a shout if you get any more trouble.

All the best! Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos