Menu
Delta99
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Unable to access 1 website on any browser or device - network issue??

This is a recent problem over the past month and one I've tried everything to figure out to no avail.  Basically I run 3 Joomla sites and as one has recently run into an issue I couldn't fix, I tried to get onto their Forum (https://forum.joomla.org/) to seek help.  However, it came back with a Timed out error or more precisely

The connection has timed out

The server at forum.joomla.org is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
Try Again

I checked with Joomla via F/Book if there was an issue with their server but they confirmed there was nothing wrong with their servers or site etc  I then wondered whether it was maybe a Firefox glitch as I'd had a few after a recent update, so tried it on 2 other browsers and when that made no difference came off the PC completely to try it on Android and then also my Kindle.  All produced the same message.  All are using my home network on a Super Hub.

As time's gone on (now 3 wks) and I've still got the frustrating website issues I desperately need help on, I wondered if anyone might have any ideas on what can cause this sort of issue with a single website?  I've rebooted computers and modem and cleared caches and cookies etc but obviously something somewhere is causing a network wide glitch.  I've just no idea how to find it or fix it.  Anyone here able to suggest anything?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Unable to access 1 website on any browser or device - network issue??

I'd guess they've banned your IP. you could check this by putting your hub from router mode to modem mode or visa versa and this will change your IP, if it is this the only people who can unblock your IP is them

All Replies
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Site loads fine here run tracetcp
http://simulatedsimian.github.io/tracetcp.html

tracetcp forum.joomla.org:443

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'd guess they've banned your IP. you could check this by putting your hub from router mode to modem mode or visa versa and this will change your IP, if it is this the only people who can unblock your IP is them

Delta99
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

YAY!! Thanks you SO much (silly me for not thinking of it given I've run forums myself in the past but thought they showed a reason to the visitor!) So given the usual reason for this being done is because of spamming etc then if that's the case is switching modes going to sort it? Is there any way to prevent your IP being used?

I really would prefer to keep the Hub as a router as I've a good few devices accessing my network tho if there's no other way to protect it I could hook up an old Belkin router again I suppose.

So grateful tho - I'd never have figured it out on my own. Thanks again!!
0 Kudos