Menu
PitVital
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

TP-Link AV500 Powerline Adapter Kit And Superhub 2

Hello, 

I have recently built a new PC and decided to use this powerline adapter kit for my internet connection. 

I have run into a problem I have never encountered before and have been searching and searching the internet for solutions.

This is a rundown of what's happening:

Come home from work, Superhub 2 is on, running sweet as a nut with my girlfriends iPad, phone and whatever else connected to it - no problems at all. 

I then boot my desktop up. Upon reaching my desktop, I get instantly connected to the network and have internet for all of 2-5 minutes, before the strangeness starts. 

The internet drops from my desktop, and says im connected to the network with no internet. I go and check the router, and the 5ghz and 2ghz lights have turned off completely and no internet is available to anything. 

If I leave this it doesn't recover and the internet does not come back.

If I leave the desktop on, and restart the router, everything is fine and everything works fine. The next day I switch the desktop on, and the problem repeats.

Now, If I head into my router settings (after the whole rebooting process) I can see my desktop connected, but with no name, yet I can see the name of all the other devices connected to the router.

I've set up a few machines in my time and a few home networks, and I've never had this happen. I've tried setting my new machine up with DCHP and Static IP. I've tried adding the MAC address to the filter list inside the router.

If I use a static IP, I get the name of the machine showing up in the "connected devices" label in the router, but no internet at all, even after my rebooting process. If I use DCHP, then I get internet after the rebooting process, but no identifiable device in the router.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: TP-Link AV500 Powerline Adapter Kit And Superhub 2

Hello PitVital

Welcome to our forum, it is an interesting problem and I am sorry you are experiencing it.

I wonder what is going on, I wonder if it is a PC or Powerline or Hub issue? I know it may be a bit of a long shot but perhaps the adaptor is causing RF interference with the hub and crashing it?  For diagnostic purposes would it be possible to temporarily try the PC directly connected and the Powerline adaptors switched off and see how that goes?

It may also be worth trying a factory reset of the hub please.

Thanks so much

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
PitVital
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello, 

I hadn't considered interference as a possibility. I will move the desktop PC to the router this evening and see if that solves the issue. I know the adapters are functional as I can get them working with my rebooting process, and they worked previously when the PC was set up at another address using a BT home hub. 

Will post back with the results later on. 

Thanks for your reply. 

0 Kudos
declantucker
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

Did you ever find a solution to this issue?

I am encountering a similar problem with some TP Link AV500 Powerline adaptors and a Virgin Superhub 2ac

Regards,

Declan

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

AS OP never replied, we may never know.

But I can tell you it has has been an issue a couple of times on here  and separating the HUB and Powerline adapter has been a solution, which is likely why Nicola recommended it..

Are you having EXACTLY the same symptoms?

0 Kudos
PitVital
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I never found a solution to this and I had to invest in a Wi-Fi adapter. I've never had issues with these powerline adapters before until using Virgin stuff. To be quite honest, Virgin equipment has been some of the worst I've ever used (TiVo box is the slowest thing on Earth) and I've never felt more cheated out of my money. The service is appalling most of the time and some (not all) of the customer service support staff have been the most arrogant and sarcastic people I have ever dealt with. 

0/10 would use again. 

0 Kudos