Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11 (20,745 Views)

SuperHub 3.0 wifi range is terrible

I've just moved over to virgin from talk talk.

Got it all installed with the Super Hub 3, the only good thing about it is its "features" and it's design.

I moved to virgin because talk talk's speeds were horrible and Fibre was not available in my area.

So now I am on Virgin, it seems they have the speed, but there routers are a pile of ****

When I am up close right next to it over 2.4GHz wifi I can get 40-50mpbs which is good.

When I go up stairs to my bedroom just like 10feet in a diagonal direction with only 2 walls; forget getting a bad connection, my desktop gaming computer can't even get a connection at all. This is pathetic.

With talk talk Their router range would easily get to my room, it was just the Internet speed holding it back.

But with virgin, there internet speeds are good, but the routers range are bottle knecking it to nothing.

It's stupid, when I do get a connection, I get 3mpbs: pathetic.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 11 (41,398 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by H4MZ4
‎11-04-2016 15:37

Re: SuperHub 3.0 wifi range is terrible

History shows that the hubs VM supply are a necessity to get a connection but are usually lacking in Wi-Fi performance.  The solution involves more expenditure and many users including myself opt to put the hub into Modem mode and attach a better router.  You can see what I use from my sig.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Tuning in
Message 2 of 11 (20,724 Views)

I had to dish out £30 to get a powerline to be able to get a connection to my bedroom which i should've been able to get without a powerline via  wirelesss....

0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 11 (41,399 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by H4MZ4
‎11-04-2016 15:37

History shows that the hubs VM supply are a necessity to get a connection but are usually lacking in Wi-Fi performance.  The solution involves more expenditure and many users including myself opt to put the hub into Modem mode and attach a better router.  You can see what I use from my sig.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
Message 4 of 11 (20,687 Views)

Hi H4MZ4,

Welcome to the communtiy and sorry to hear you're not happy with the wireless performance.

Wireless relies heavily on the wireless environment and interference in your area let alone the 2 walls it needs to get through to reach your computer. Power lines are definitely a good solution to this but if you'd like to improve the wireless signal I'd suggest trying different wireless channels to see what works best in your home. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11 (20,675 Views)

Yeah I already tried different channels, still the same bad coverage. I guess there is nothing that can be done about the router than to have better versions released
0 Kudos
Settling in
Message 6 of 11 (20,299 Views)

I had a exactly the same issue, I have tried changing channels which actually did improve performance during peak times by a very small amount but ultimately the wireless router is really terrible.  I got better performance out of my first wireless router in 2002 so this one must be REALLY CHEAP!  I recommend getting a good quality router to plug into one of the RJ45 outlets, as the actually network speed out of these is good, and always sits at 100mbps as promised.  I have a Cisco but there are thousands of other ones to choose from.  

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 11 (19,715 Views)

In a perverse way I have found this thread reassuring as at least it shows its not just me with the problem.

I switched everything from Sky to Virgin Media last month and it never occurred to me that their Super Hub 3.0 would be inferior to the 5 year old D link router I had from Sky.

Sure enough I get superfast wifi internet in the room with the 3.0 router, but go elsewhere in the house and the signal strength drops off alarmingly and I keep getting internet connection drop outs.  Something I never had with the Sky router (and no I haven't moved house and no I haven't changed the router location).

Channel interference seems to be main suggestion given, but changing channels has no effect.

I can't see options other than spending money on powerline technology and creating a wifi hotspot elsewhere in the house, or changing the router to modem mode and plugging it into one that is actually fit for purpose.

At the moment my end game is to dump Virgin Media once my 12 month contract is up as not only have I found the wifi range poor, I have also found using TIVO nothing like as advertised with an incredibly slow and annoying user interface.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 8 of 11 (7,676 Views)

I recently upgraded to a new superhub and like some other posts wifi is now lousy. I've tried different channels numerous calls and it's still awful. I've purchased power line wifi extenders and it's improved it. I have 2 TiVo boxes and HD is particularly pixelated. I connect one box that is way worse for hd channels through wifi. Three questions:
1. Does poor wifi impact my ability to watch hd on TiVo?
2. With all the comments on poor wifi is vm doing anything about it?
3. Can you recommend a decent wifi router as I fear the only way to go is to put router in modem mode and spend more on trying to fix this issue?
0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 9 of 11 (7,674 Views)

Have to totally agree , the HUB 3 wifi is awful. I walk into the kitchen and the signal drops to one bar. and drops out on a regular basis , I don`t game so I got a really cheap TP link WR841n  for £18  and wow I now get full signal all over home.  Also purchased VM powerline adapters for the bedroom which are superb. 

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 10 of 11 (7,643 Views)

Thanks for this. I have power line wifi extenders which work reasonably. I'll take a look at the router
0 Kudos