Menu
azzer2000
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Super hub 2 wifi freezing / dropping requiring router reeboot

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem. I have a super hub 2 and i have a problem where the wifi freezes (stops working) and i have to switch the router off and then back on to solve the problem

While this is happening the wired connection is fine and working.

Also, i have noticed that when this is happening i cannot log into the router itself using the 192.168.....etc. It is like i am frozen out of the admin page even on the wired working connection. I have had a new super hub off virgin when i complained about the problem which worked ok for maybe 3 weeks.

I rang and complained about it again and i was told some "settings" had been applied to the router to solve the problem. Again this only made the router work ok for maybe 3 weeks. Recently over xmas the problem has got worse and it is happening every couple of days. Also since these settings were applied to my router i have since had a speed upgrade to 100bm but i can only achieve this wired, it is like my router wifi has been locked to 50mb even though in the settings it is not restricted.

i have done a factory reset on it today to see if that does anything.

I know it is not the connection because the wired works ok and it is just the wifi. Is it worth asking virgin for a super hub 3 so see if that works any better?

0 Kudos
azzer2000
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super hub 2 wifi freezing / dropping requiring router reeboot

Factory reset did not help. same problem again today. After i reboot and get it working again, when i check the network log there is no mention of whats happened in the error log. Can someone please tell me what the problem is?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel. I would bear in mind the wireless scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

0 Kudos
azzer2000
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately, this is nothing to do with wireless interference, and i can tell that by the fact i can not log into the router admin when this happens, and it will not right itself without a router reboot. Its a problem with the router crashing.  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Out of interest, do you mean you cannot log into the hub with a wired connection when the wireless drops?

0 Kudos
azzer2000
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes that's correct. Even though the internet works wired, I cannot log into the hub until it's been rebooted. Doing a search on here I am not the only person with this problem, although no one has come up with a sound solution.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi azzer2000, 

Thanks for getting in touch to let us know about your Hub WiFi freezing, I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested things from here and everything looks great no errors or time outs inside the Hubs logs, and all of your power levels are within the preferred ranges.

Are you still having these issues? If so, please respond to me here with a recent copy of your Hubs logs, you can find these by opening your internet browser and typing 192.168.0.1 into the address bar and type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar, before logging in it will say 'Router Status' in the right hand corner, click there and all the information needed is inside.

Also, what lights are on the Hub when the connection drops?

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
azzer2000
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

A few days ago I was researching about the problem on Google and saw advice to rename the ssid of the Wi-Fi, I did this and changed the Wi-Fi channel and since then (about 4 days) it has not dropped. I will continue to monitor it and if it happens again I will post up the logs. Thanks
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi azzer2000, 

Thanks for the reply!

I'm pleased to hear that you found a work around for this on google and the connection hasn't dropped since doing so, this is great!

Just remember if you require our assistance in future then post back here on the forums and we'll gladly take a look and help out from here for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
azzer2000
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Well, a month has gone and tonight is the first night it has happened again! and after the restart its restarted itself

0 Kudos