Menu
johnharper
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Samsung Smarthub TV issues with All4 Catchup... "Content Currently unavailable"

Hi

Got a really annoying problem.  I have a Samsung Smarthub TV and I am having problems with the All4 App trying to watch things on Catch Up.

The navigation works fine, I can select what I want to watch but after the first set of adverts, I get a black "waiting" screen and then "Content currently not available".  It happens on everything that I watch.

I have to exit out of Smarthub and go back in and fast forward to where I was before and then all the ads play again.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Samsung Smarthub TV issues with All4 Catchup... "Content Currently unavailable"

it's a crap app-  you can't really blame samsung for that.  [all android catch up TV apps are crap, except for the BBC one & even that ain't perfect ]

0 Kudos
johnharper
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Samsung Smarthub TV issues with All4 Catchup... "Content Currently unavailable"

Not blaming anyone really... just heard there is a solution but I can't find it :-)

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

there's usually an option to contact the app authors - e.g. go via the google play store, as i'ts likely that your TV has the same version as what's in the google app store.

Developer

but unlikely you will get a solution

the play store reviews will quickly reveal whether others have the same issue

over 16,000 1 star ratings here so yes they do !

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.channel4.ondemand&hl=en_GB

all you can do in smart hub is get to the samsung apps page and check for updates. that's not an obvious find but you go to the apps index then somewhere top right is the spot to check for app updates. if it's not a built-in app then you may be able to uninstall it and re-install it as a final gamble. I have 2 samsung Tizen Tv's and decided early on that the itv, channel 4, channel 5 apps were all a waste of space .

can you not get your channel 4 catchup via virgin TV ?

0 Kudos
johnharper
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I've seen on this community that hundreds of people have had the same issue in 2015 and someone from Virgin replied to every post saying "I've sent you a PM which will resolve it".  Obviously I have no idea what is in that PM, why they couldn't post it on the community I don't know.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I had the same problem a while back. I set the Samsung to use Google's DNS servers on 8.8.8.8. It resolved it at the time I don't get the problem anymore even with DNS server set to auto, so I don't know if the fix will still work

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

trying google dns is a good suggestion. I doubt virgin would advocate that publicly so maybe that was in the PM ?

if the root cause is badly designed app/ poor servers at Channel 4 them none of hthese fixes will help but in order of hassle for Samsung TVs you do these:

1. power cycle TV - tricky as there is no off switch, you have to physically pull out the mains cable, wait a while , put it back

2. smart hub reset within preferences - that wipes your netflix passwords etc...

3. factory reset the TV - google for Samsung instructions

they do offer remote support but those are the things they would most likely suggest. if your other apps are good, then I'd not do any of it.

if you have a smart phone , try the all 4 app for the same catch up show on that as another test

0 Kudos