Menu
AllanaBanana
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Nest Camera Keeps Going Offline

Hello

Hope someone can help.

I have a number of smart devices in my home, all working and connecting without any issue.

I recently installed an indoor Nest security camera.  I was able to get is set up and connected without difficulty, however, it keeps going offline.

It seems to be when another device connects, for example, the camera can be online all day whilst I'm at work, no problem, then when I get home and my phone connects to my Wi-Fi the camera goes offline. 

I can get it back online by re-booting my Wi-Fi but this obviously causes all my other smart devices to go offline and reconnect. 

I have contacted Nest support about this and they believe that it probably something to do with my router settings.  Having no knowledge of Wi-Fi router settings I turn to you guys for assistance.

Thanks in advance.

Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Nest Camera Keeps Going Offline

Hi AllanaBanana,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you're having trouble with your Nest camera. Your phone connecting shouldn't knock another device offline. What settings have you changed on the hub or have you left them all at default? If you'd assigned the Nest camera or your phone a static IP they might be conflicting and knocking each other off the network but this is unlikely.

I'd suggest checking the hubs wireless security settings and possibly changing the wireless names so the 2.4 signal and 5Ghz signal are separate in case this is what is causing the overlap.

Give that a try and let us know how you get on.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Cropduster
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello, I have exactly the same issue. My nest camera went off line early today for all day. I came home and tested my nest stat and it worked with wifi turned on my phone and wifi off on my phone. So I deduced that the wifi signal and system was fine. Yet my next camera was still of line. Both wifi signals are named separately. I turned my router off and on and the camera re connected. What could be the cause of this please?
0 Kudos
Cropduster
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello, I have exactly the same issue. My nest camera went off line early today for all day. I came home and tested my nest stat and it worked with wifi turned on my phone and wifi off on my phone. So I deduced that the wifi signal and system was fine. Yet my next camera was still of line. Both wifi signals are named separately. I turned my router off and on and the camera re connected. What could be the cause of this please?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hey Cropduster,

Thanks for getting in touch Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear you're struggling with your connection, have you tried John's advice above? It's certainly a good place to start.

Let us know if this helps at all and if not, we will continue to investigate.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

Cropduster
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello. I've set up a list of mac addresses of all devices on this Freq to accept and it seems stable now.
0 Kudos
AllanaBanana
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Just to let you know that I've resolved this issue by changing the password on the 5ghz channel and assigning this to the camera. Works perfectly now.

As I have a number of smart devices I think there was just too much traffic going through the one channel.

Thanks for the feedback / advice.