Menu
squarepeg
Tuning in
Message 1 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Macbook dropping wifi

I purchased a new Macbook Pro (running El Capitan 10.11.2) in December and it will not stay connected to wifi for any more than 10mins maximum at any one time. However, when visiting my partners parents (BT) and my own parents (Sky) over Chrismas my laptop stayed connected all day with no issues at all. To confirm the issue, I had a friend up visiting over the weekend and she had the same problem with her Macbook (also on El Capitan) in my house, which she says has never happened before (She is on BT at home).

My iPhone works fine, as does my partners, and my Mac Mini which is connected via ethernet has no problems, so it seems to be an issue with the Superhub 2 and Macbooks.

I've spent a bit of time Googling this problem and it seems I'm not alone, the trouble seems to be there is no definite solution, there's a different suggested fix on every post in every forum!

I've tried swapping between 2.4 and 5GHz to no avail, but that's really as much as I want to fiddle about with if I'm not confident I'm doing the right thing.

Am I missing something obvious, or do I need to start working my way through the infinite number of possible, but not probable fixes suggested throughout the internet?

Message 2 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Re: Macbook dropping wifi

Hi squarepeg,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear you're suffering problems with wifi connection on your new MacBook Pro.  It certainly sounds like an odd one, and I think the solution may well lie in trying a few different things to see what gets it sorted.

I'd recommend following some of these tips first, it's unlikely to be the wireless signal, but worth trying in case the MacBook Pro is more susceptible to interruptions to the wireless signal.  If none of that helps, can you let me know what's actually happening when it drops?  Does it indicate a loss of wireless signal altogether, or do you lose internet connectivity whilst it looks like the laptop is still connected to the network?

Let me know how you get on and we'll go from there.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 50
Flag for a moderator

I'm glad you've got Kev_B's attention and it is important that he sticks with youy on this.

The substantive (and passionate) thread in this forum is at http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Macbook-Pro-very-temperamental-with-Supe... and a variety of solutions have emerged that work for some. These include setting MTU on the Superhub to 1493; defining in the MBP a DNS other than VM's default; changing some network settings in the MBP (I forget which).

There is a suggestion from me that nobody seems to have bothered with. http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Macbook-Pro-very-temperamental-with-Supe...

The MBP issue is wider than with the Superhub as the Apple community threads show. It is a pity that VM haven't set this up on a lab bench and done some low level trouble shooting; ignoring the MBP community is very bad form indeed.

So yes, working through the suggested fixes is one way of trying to deal with this. The other is to go to modem mode with your own router so avoiding the problem.

Very important that you keep Kev_B engaged, though!

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

squarepeg
Tuning in
Message 4 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much for your replies, I will start working my way through the various possible solutions. As I feared, there seems to be no 'official' way of solving this issue despite it being worryingly common in MacBook/VM SH2 users. I'll post any results here.

In the meantime, to answer Kev_B's question, my MacBook still shows it's connected when the wifi drops, the icon in the menu is still black despite losing connectivity. Turning wifi off and on again usually solves it, though this is frustrating if I'm watching streaming movies/Skyping etc, as the video freezes.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
markwood
Just joined
Message 5 of 50
Flag for a moderator

You are not alone here !! I have exactly the same issue with my Macbook Pro. Have phoned customer services endless times and no-one can provide a solution. When I connect to other rooters (on virgin hub) i have no issue !

I am at the point of cancelling my contract as no-one has a valid solution, and it is obvious that the issue lies with this version of rooter.

0 Kudos
markwood
Just joined
Message 6 of 50
Flag for a moderator

MacBook Pro dropping wifi with virgin hub - its fine when i connect to other rooters

It appears I am not alone in have issues with my Macbook Pro 2015 and the virgin hub !

Internet drops regularly over wifi, pages take ages to load...

...funny how it works fine connected to other network rooters !! I even had an EE broadband at 4mbps working better than virgin !

I have phone customer support and technical support so many times, to be told there is not issue with the broadband. They re-set rooter, channels etc, but makes no difference at all.

From my research, it would now appear that the issue relates to the virgin hub, and unless virgin come up with a new rooter than solves the issue, nothing really can be done. Obviously, virgin will not admit this !!

I am now at the point of cancelling my contract and going with another network who provides a rooter that actually works.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 50
Flag for a moderator

To support the WMM-Powersave theory, in the Apple forums, admittedly not about MBP, but same symptoms, I found this:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/17687074#17687074 ; the text is pasted below.

I was having the exact same problem with my FIOS, so I tried rebooting the router. That didn't work on both my iPad 1 and 2. My iPhone 3GS and 4S work fine, however. All of the devices are on iOS 5.0.1. That led me to start delving into the advanced wireless settings of the router where I found the WMM settings. In there, you'll find the WMM power save mode. Turn this OFF. As soon as the setting change applied, all devices are up and running without issue.

The theory behind modifying this option is that the wireless power save drops (or rather chooses not to send) some of the beacon packets in order to save power. If I remember correctly, those beacons are sent every couple of hundred milliseconds. Working with wireless devices since the invent of 802.11b, I remember this was a prevalent issue in some of the older Lucent access points and wireless cards. Killing the power save mode keeps the constant flow of administrative data packets so the devices don't drop out of sync.

The Superhubs do not allow WMM-PowerSave to be turned off. The Hub 3 does not support WMM-PowerSave and that device is reported to be problem free with the MBP.  So, if this is the cause, the problem cannot be solved with the Superhub 2 unless VM get new firmware issued incorporating a switch on/off function, which they won't because all new customers get the HUb 3.

squarepeg
Tuning in
Message 8 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Well I tried the suggestions on the video Kev_B linked to, and nothing really made any difference I'm afraid. I'm thinking that Seph may be on to something, but I've no way of finding out unless I get my hands on a new router :/

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 50
Flag for a moderator

squarepeg wrote:

Well I tried the suggestions on the video Kev_B linked to, and nothing really made any difference I'm afraid. I'm thinking that Seph may be on to something, but I've no way of finding out unless I get my hands on a new router :/

... and even then you won't find out unless the new router supports WMM-Powersave (also known as UAPSD) with a setting to turn it on or off.

I just wish that VM would examine the problem on the test bench, experimenting with settings on the SH2/ac that are currently not available to the user.  It's bad that the SH range is so unconfigurable so that it could be kept dumb for non-tech users.

jondeanp
Tuning in
Message 10 of 50
Flag for a moderator

I am another user with a MBP, thinking that i had a unique problem getting web pages to load. Coming onto this forum it appears i'm not alone. Only problem is it has taken me till 00:40 on Monday morning to look through some of the posts (due to the persistent failing or slow web page loads).

I have a 2015 MBP and a Netgear Superhub 2ac. I have tried many of the suggested ideas, but nothing appears to resolve the problem long term.

Virgin Media please help

0 Kudos