Menu
RaminNoodles86
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Google Nexus 5X and Hub 3.0 connection problems

Hi guys,

I'm a new Virgin Broadband customer and I'm having problems with connecting my wife's Google Nexus 5X to the Virgin Hub 3.0 router. Both phone and router software is up to date.

The phone connects fine to the router (details on my phone show I'm connected to the 5Ghz band - and I've changed the channel on the router manually to 136). And when I do a speedtest using the speedtest app on the phone, all seems fine as I'm supposedly getting a 100Mb speed.

But the phone is definitely not connected and is using my Vodafone mobile data instead - I can confirm this as I get a notification pop up when installing apps on my phone from the Google Play Store and it warns me that larger apps on mobile data may take some time etc...

When trying to load websites, it also loads incredibly slow.

Anyone else come across this problem? For reference, my other devices connect and work fine with the router (Nexus 6P, Nexus 7, XBox One, Amazon Dash).

Thanks,

RaminNoodles86

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Google Nexus 5X and Hub 3.0 connection problems

I would avoid the high wireless channels as they are subject to DFS and TPC, and some devices cannot use them.

I would try changing the channel(s) to the lower band. I would set the 5Ghz to use two wireless channels for better speeds

Using WPA2 with AES encryption may also help.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I would avoid the high wireless channels as they are subject to DFS and TPC, and some devices cannot use them.

I would try changing the channel(s) to the lower band. I would set the 5Ghz to use two wireless channels for better speeds

Using WPA2 with AES encryption may also help.

0 Kudos
RaminNoodles86
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. Not too sure what DFS and TPC are, but either way I put the 5Ghz channel back to auto and it sorted the problem out! I've left the 2.4Ghz channel as manual and on channel 13 though.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

No problem, Glad it is sorted now.

Dynamic Frequency Selection and Total Power Control are just two methods to prevent the signal interfering with Weather Radar.

0 Kudos