Menu
Scoobysteve343
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Extremely slow WI-FI

Hi, new customer here and not a great start. I am paying for 200MB broadband yet testing the speed vi WI-FI I'm lucky to hit 50MB consistently between 20-30MB

Hard wired laptop last night and managed 149MB once then back down below 100MB.

Having spoken to Virgin I've had 3 reasons for this now, 1 being it takes a while to turn on to your full speed, 2 more people have taken broadband in your area so we are upgrading the main cables and substation, and finally from a manager last night that the software on the hub 3 is not good with WI-FI so nothing they can do until it's updated.

Pretty appalling service to be honest! Do any of these excuses sound believable? Should I change my router to something that will give better speed over WI-FI if so what would you recommend.

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extremely slow WI-FI

First of all I would check the connection speed of the internet by testing speeds during the day and evening using a device equipped with a gigabit ethernet adapter connected directly to the hub by a CAT 5E or better cable. Wireless is just too unreliable to test accurately.

What wireless devices are you using to test the wireless speed?

Are you using the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz bands?

0 Kudos
Scoobysteve343
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, I've tested at different times direct to my laptop and most I got was 149MB once! Then it's dropped below 100MB. Devices used to test speed wirelessly have been iPhone 5S, iPad and laptop. Pardon my ignorance but not computer savvy so not sure about bands??? Just tested on iPhone now and got 17.6MB shocking regardless of device I think!!! Especially when I'm paying for 200MB
0 Kudos
SacuShi
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Spoiler

Please do not mistake your Broadband speed for your WiFi speeds.

Your Broadband speeds are what you pay Virgin for. This speed is dependent on time of day (are their millions of people online?), the website capabilities that you are trying to connect to (what bandwidth does the website have and how many people are trying to connect to it across the world)

Your Wifi speeds are the speed of data transfer around your house from your router.  Wifi speeds can be affected by many things including the position of the router (blocked by a wall, a TV?), how many people are connected, the device capabilities, the band you are using etc.

Newer devices are able to use the 5Ghz band of your router, which has a much higher wifi speed than the 2.4Ghz band.  The 2.4Ghz band can give you up to 110Mb/s over wifi.  The 5Ghz band can be up to 540Mb/s.

You can go into your advanced settings on your router to either set up the 5Ghz band, or enable it if it is disabled.

Bear in mind, if you device cannot 'see' the 5Ghz band, it won't be able to use it.

To enable or change the bands, go to 192.168.0.1 in the address bar of your browser (IE, Chrome etc).
Input the password from the base of your router.
Go to advanced settings
Go to wireless
Go to wireless signal

You will see 2 SSID (networks).  One will be 2.4Ghz, and one will be 5Ghz.  Change the name of the 5Ghz to something you will recognise (for example, I have Superfly as my 5Ghz SSID and Batcave as my 2.4Ghz SSID.).  Set up the appropriate password so you can connect to it and enable it.

Disconnect from your network on your PC / phone / tablet and see if your device can 'see' the 5Ghz band.  If it can, connect to it and then do the speedtest again (www.speedtest.net)

Let us know how you get on.

Oh, I don't work for Virgin.  I work for BT.

Edited for clarification of Broadband and WiFi speeds.

0 Kudos
Stever94
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As an Apple geek I have and Air Extreme router just because it's better and more simple to use than other routers.
It could be that your broadcast channel is being used by your neighbours but I think it is more likely that they are upgrading the network in your area.
I have noticed that 200 Mbps doesn't seem to bring up a web page any quicker than 100. But you can have more users on your home network.
If it drops to 20 - 30 turn off the router for 2 minutes are the Plug and then turn it back on.
Disable wifi on your devices and re-enable.
Hope this helps
Steve
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

To start with, the wired speeds need to be look at first.

What device are you using to test the wired speeds?

What ethernet adapter does it have?

Are you using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable? (it would be worth trying another ethernet cable as they can go bad)

Posting some basic diagnostic info may help.

Navigate to the hub's GUI using http://192.168.100.1
Don't log in, click the Router Status button in the top right of the screen.
Copy \ Paste the Downstream, Upstream, and Network Logs.

Don't worry about the formatting.

On the wireless side:

There are two bands that wifi networks can use. The 2.5Ghz band and the 5Ghz band. The 2.4Ghz band is narrow and is prone to wireless interference as a result. Using two wireless channels on this band to double throughput is unadvisable and Apple devices do not allow it. The 5Ghz band is wider and wireless channels do not overlap, so using two wireless channels to boost speed is not so problematic.

The iPhone 5s has a Broadcom BCM43342 wireless chipset, which only has one spatial stream, which would give a link speed of 72Mbps on the 2.4Ghz band (only one wireless channel) and a link speed of 150Mbps on the 5Ghz band (using two wireless channels) The link speeds will equate to 35 - 40 Mbps on the 2.4Ghz band and aroung 75 to 85 Mbps on the 5Ghz band.

So, the short answer is that the iPhone 5s is not capable of nowhere near 200Mbps. You will need devices that are capable of using multiple wireless streams (MIMO) to get faster wireless speeds. In regards to the iPad, you will need to have a iPad Air for MIMO, older iPads will be restricted the speeds I mentioned before.

The Hub3 is cabable of a link speed of 300Mbps on the 2.4Ghz band which will give you actual speeds of around 150 - 170 mbps using a capable client, providing if you are very, very lucky and have a completely clean wireless environment (no idea where the upto 110Mbps came from) The Hub can deliver up to 450Mbps link on the 5Ghz band or 1.3Gbps Link on the 5Ghz band using wireless AC, you will need devices that are AC compatible to benefit from the speeds AC can offer.

In short, you will need wireless AC clients to get a decent chance of getting 200Mbps wirelessly, or a very good tri stream non AC 5Ghz adapter.

0 Kudos
Scoobysteve343
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much everyone, I will have a good look at what you have all said tonight and tomorrow. Sounds like I might not be on the 5GH channel to start with.
0 Kudos
Scoobysteve343
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well after giving it a few weeks to settle down, I'm utterly disappointed with Virgin!! Using laptop which is about 18months old via a good Ethernet cable I consistently get now between 15MB and 30MB. On my iPhone 5s regardless of what chip is in it and what it can reach it won't go above 20MB on the 5GHZ band and 14MB on the 2.4GHZ band. I've seen 145MB once on my laptop via Ethernet but never again. After speaking with Virgin they wouldn't help or give an explanation, very disappointing service to say the least considering I'm paying for 200MB!!!!
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scoobysteve343,

Thanks for posting, disappointing to hear that speeds are down on the headline expected. I've run a few checks on your service from this end and apart from capacity spiking a little at peak times, your connection looks okay.

To help with diagnostics could you please try dropping your Hub into modem mode and run a few speed checks at varying times of day to a gigabit capable device.

Cheers

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos